CURRICUPPANE, or CURRIKIPPANE, a parish, in the county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER,2¼ miles (W.) from Cork; containing 1042 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the south by the river Lee, and on the west by the Shawnagh or Awnbeg, which is also the boundary between the dioceses of Cork and Cloyne. It comprises 2094 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £4482 per annum. The surface is undulating, rising in some parts into very considerable eminences immediately from the banks of the Lee, and commanding a fine view of the course of that river through a beautiful and rich tract of country, with the fertile district of Carrigrohane and Ovens to the west, and of the city of Cork and its suburbs to the east, beyond which is the noble expanse of the Lee to Blackrock. The lands are chiefly meadow and pasture, and what is under tillage is in an excellent state of cultivation; the soil is fertile, and the supply of manure abundant. The elevated districts are all of the clay-slate formation; some are richly planted, and have a picturesque and beautiful appearance. The principal gentlemen's seats are Leemount, the residence of Capt. Thos. Otho Travers; Kitsborough, of William Wagget, Esq; Prospect, of A. Morgan, Esq.; Mount Desert, of N. Dunscombe, Esq.; West Hill, of the Rev. J. Webb, LL.D; Mount Desert, of T. J. Wise, Esq.; Lee Bank, of R. Hatton, Esq.; and Hillsborough, of C. W. Dumscombe, Esq. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Cork, and forms part of the union of Carrigrohane and corps of the precentorship in the cathedral church of St. Finbarr, Cork: the tithes amount to £280. The church has been for many years in ruins, and the Protestant parishioners attend the church of Carrigrohane; there is neither glebe-house nor glebe. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of North Parish, Cork; the chapel is a plain building.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.