MINOLA, a parish, in the barony of CARRA, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 8 miles (N. N. W.) from Hollymount, on the road from Castlebar to Claremorris; containing 2200 inhabitants, of which number, 450 are in the village. The land is excellent, and principally under tillage; there is a considerable portion of bog, and within the limits of the parish is the small Lough Carramore. The village comprises 35 houses, and has a patent for fairs. The parish is in the diocese of Tuam, and is a rectory and vicarage, forming part of the union of Ballagh: the tithes amount to £140. In the R. C. divisions also it is part of the union or district of Ballagh. There are three private schools, in which are about 390 children. Slight remains of the castle of Minola are visible.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.