Hide

Leny

hide
Hide

LENEY, a parish,in the barony of CORKAREE, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (N. N. W.) from Mullingar,on themail coach road from Dublin to Sligo; containing, with the villages of Ballinalack and Brumbrusna (both of which are separately described), 1479 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the south-west by Lough Iron, and on the south-east by Lough Hoyle, comprises 3560 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act.The lands are chiefly tinder tillage; the system of agriculture is unimproved, and there is but very little bog; black stone of a good quality is quarried for building and also for flags. Clanhugh, a lodge belonging to Lord Forbes, and Lakeview, the residence of E. Daly, Esq., are in the parish.Fairs are held at Ballinalack twice in the year.The living is an impropriatecuracy,in thediocese of Meath episcopally united to the curacies of Templeoran, Kilmacnevin, Lecken, and Tyfernon, together constituting the union of Leney, in the patronage of Sir J. B. Piers, Bart., in whom the rectory is impropriate: the tithes amount to £118. 2. 1., payable to the impropriator; the curate's stipend is £78, arising from payments of £64 per ann. from PrimateBoulter's and £14 from Bishop Evans's fund.The glebe-house was erected in 1817, by a gift of £450 and a loan of £50 from the late Board of First Fruits; the glebe comprises 20 acres of profitable land, subject toa rent of £36. 2. 6.The church, a plain edifice, was rebuilt near the village of Brumbrusna by a loan of £350 from the same Board and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have granted £129 for its repair.In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Multifarnam.About 150 children are taught in three public schools, of which the Farra Charter school, for boarding, clothing, and apprenticing 100 children with a premium of £7, and; gratuity of £3 to each boy on the expiration of his indentures, was endowed by the Rev. W. Wilson; and the parochial school is supported under the patronage of J. Gibbons, Esq., who gives the master £10 per ann with a house and garden, and appropriates 2 1/2 acres of land to it.

from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.

Hide
topup

Description & Travel

The Wikipedia entry for Leny.

You can see pictures of Leny which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

topup

Historical Geography

topup

Land & Property

The entry for Leny from Griffiths Valuation 1847/64

Tithe Applotment Books 1823/37 for this parish on NAI

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference N3834862329 (Lat/Lon: 53.609585, -7.421378), Leny which are provided by: