Lismore and Appin
"Lismore and Appin, a united parish in Lorn district, N Argyllshire. It comprehends the ancient parishes of Appin and Lismore, with the whole of EllanMunde; and includes the three great districts of Lismore proper, Kingairloch, and Appin, the first consisting of islands in Loch Linnhe, the second lying between that loch and Morvern, the third lying on the SE side of Loch Linnhe, and extending from Loch Creran to Loch Leven. It is bounded N by Inverness-shire, E by Glenorchy and Ardchattan, S by Ardchattan, Kilmore, and Torosay, and W by Morvern and Ardnamurchan. Its utmost length, from WNW to ESE, is 25 miles; its utmost breadth is 20 miles; and its area is 148⅔ square miles or 95,171⅖ acres, of which 1683⅓ foreshore, 829⅓ water, and 25¼ tidal water. Its districts and features, other than Lismore island, are noticed in our articles on Airds, Appin, Ballachulish, Castle-Mearnaig, Creran, Duror, Glencoe, Glencreran, Kingairloch, Leven, Musdale, Sheep-Island, and Shuna. At most, 4000 acres are in tillage; nearly as many are under wood; and all the rest of the land is moss, moor, hill-pasture, or barren mountain. Eleven proprietors hold each an annual value of £500 and upwards, seven of between £100 and £500, and five of from £20 to £50. Giving off the quoad sacra parishes of Appin and Duror, and including the chapelries of Glencoe and Kingairloch, Lismore is in the presbytery of Lorn and the synod of Argyll; the living is worth £393. In the whole civil parish ten schools-three of them Episcopalian. the rest public with total accommodation for 907 children, had (1882) an average attendance of 426, and grants amounting to £485, 15s. 10d. Valuation (1860) £15,065, (1884) £20,191, 5s. 9d. Pop. (1801) 3243, (1831) 4365, (1861) 3595, (1871) 3535, (1881) 3433, of whom 2968 were Gaelic-speaking, and 2182 were in the ecclesiastical parish.—Ord. Sur.., shs. 45, 44, 53, 1876-84."
Extract from Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1882-4)
It has been observed that in the 1911 Census of Scotland there is possible incorrect indexing of the 1911 Census data.
- (Glencoe &) Ballachulish in Duror QSP in 'Lismore & Appin Parish' (525) is in Argyll however you will need to search for it in Inverness-shire as Ballachulish.
- Ballachulish in the Inverness-shire part of 'Ballachulish & Corran of Ardgour' QSP (506) is indexed under Inverness-shire as Ballachulish.
- Ardgour is indexed under Argyll.
See under History below.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Lismore and Appin to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Lismore and Appin has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
The Ballachulish area (Ballachulish, Ballachulish & Corran of Ardgour, Lismore & Appin, Onich & Ballachulish) can perhaps be described as one of Argyll's peculiarities. Historically, the name Ballachulish is proper to the area on the North side of Loch Leven now known as North Ballachulish. However the name was later appropriated to describe the slate quarries developed at East Laroch on the South side of Loch Leven, and eventually adopted for the whole of the former Laroch village. See Wikipedia - Ballachulish.
This has implications for those searching for not only the physical presence of their ancestors, but also those searching for relevant records. See the note under Census above.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NN099480 (Lat/Lon: 56.585176, -5.097207), Lismore and Appin which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)