"GARVALD AND BARA, an united parish, containing the post-office village of Garvald, in Haddingtonshire. It is bounded by Berwickshire, and by the parishes of Gifford, Morham, and Whittingham. Its length southward is 7 3/4 miles; and its greatest breadth is 4 miles. The northern division, comprising about one-fourth of the whole area, is arable, well-cultivated, delightfully shaded with plantation, and rich in the agricultural capacities and beauties of the great plain of East Lothian; but the other divisions climb away up the Lammermoor hills, till they gain the highest ridge, and over their whole progress wear the heathy garb, variegated with occasional patches of verdure, which distinguishes that pastoral region ... Population of the village, about 280. Population of the parish in 1831, 914; in 1861, 891." [From the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868]
A lengthier description is available.