Hide

Humbie

hide
Hide

"HUMBIE, a parish in the south-western extremity of Haddingtonshire, consisting of a main body, and a small detached section. The main body is nearly a parallelogram, stretching north-west and south-west, measuring 5 miles in length, and nearly 3 in average breadth; and is bounded by Ormiston, Salton, Bolton, Yester, Berwickshire, Soutra and Edinburghshire. The detached part is wholly embosomed in Edinburghshire, measures 1 1/2 mile by 3/4, and lies about a mile south-west of the nearest part of the main body. The main body contains the village of Upper Keith, and approaches within 2 miles of the post-towns of Salton and Pencaitland, and the detached section contains the post-office hamlet of Blackshiels ... The parish comprehends the ancient districts of Keith-Hundeby and Keith-Marhsall. The adjunct Hundeby was the name of a hamlet near the church of the former district, and has been vulgarized into Humbie." [From the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868]
A lengthier description is available.

Hide
topup

Bibliography

See Humbie parish, East Lothian: past and present by C.C. Nisbet, published at Edinburgh in 1939 (96 pages). Copies will probably be available in local libraries in the area and it is also available on microfilm through LDS family history centres around the world.

topup

Cemeteries

The Scottish Genealogy Society holds a list of gravestones in this parish (68 in total) in its library in Edinburgh. Similar lists may be available elsewhere, for example in the East Lothian District Library's Local History Centre at Newton Port in Haddington.

topup

Church Records

The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1643. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the Scottish Record Office as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).

Registers for the Humbie and Fala Free Church are available in LDS family history centres around the world. These include christenings for 1844-1864 and marriages for 1845-1865.

topup

Civil Registration

Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. For details of these and other records held at the General Register Office in Edinburgh, see the GRO tutorial.

topup

Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Humbie which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Extracts for this parish from the 1868 National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland are available.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Humbie has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

This map shows the location of the parish in the county.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NT464622 (Lat/Lon: 55.849584, -2.857077), Humbie which are provided by:

topup

Population

Here are some figures showing the parish's population through time:

YearPopulation
1755570
1801785
1831875
1861997
1871967
1881907
1891791
1901720
topup

Statistics

For a social and economic record of the parishes of East Lothian together with considerable statistical material, see Sir John Sinclair's Statistical Account of Scotland, which was compiled in the 1790s. Follow-up works to this were the New Statistical Account (also known as the Second Statistical Account) which was prepared in the 1830s and 1840s; and more recently the Third Statistical Account which has been prepared since the Second World War.

Thanks to a joint venture between the Universities of Glasgow and Edinburgh the First and Second Statistical Accounts can now be accessed on-line at The Statistical Accounts of Scotland, 1791-1799 and 1845.