"MORHAM, a parish, containing a post-office station of its own name, in the centre of Haddingtonshire. It is bounded by Haddington, Prestonkirk, Whittingham, and Garvald. Its length eastward is fully 3 miles; and its breadth is from 1 mile to 1/2 a mile. Its surface is part of a gently inclined waving plain, midway between the Lammermoors and the sea, and descending to the north. Its highest ground is about 413 feet above sea-level. Its only stream is the small burn of Morham, which collects its head waters within Garvald, and runs through Morham and Haddington to the Tyne. The only good piece of scenery within the parish is a pretty little glen on the minister's pasture glebe .. Population in 1831, 262; in 1861, 281." [From the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868]
A lengthier description is available.
The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1712. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the Scottish Record Office as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).
For a social and economic record of the parishes of East Lothian together with considerable statistical material, see Sir John Sinclair's Statistical Account of Scotland, which was compiled in the 1790s. Follow-up works to this were the New Statistical Account (also known as the Second Statistical Account) which was prepared in the 1830s and 1840s; and more recently the Third Statistical Account which has been prepared since the Second World War.