"STENTON, a parish, containing a post-office village of its own name, in the eastern part of Haddingtonshire. It consists of two mutually detached districts, a southern and a northern. The southern district lies wholly among the Lammermoors. with a declination southward to the Whitadder; and is bounded by Berwickshire, by Whittingham, and by the Lammermoor sections of Dunbar and Spott ... The parish was originally and long called Petcox, from the village of that name; and seems to have acquired the designation of Staneton, or Stonetown, from the stoniness of the ground in the district round the church. In ancient times it was first a chapelry, and next a prebend of Dunbar and a rectory." [From the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868]
A lengthier description is available.


Church History

A brief history of the church is available here.

Photos of the church are available.


Church Records

The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1668. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the Scottish Record Office as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).


Civil Registration

Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. For details of these and other records held at the General Register Office in Edinburgh, see the GRO tutorial.


Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Stenton which are provided by:



Extracts for this parish from the 1868 National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland are available.


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Stenton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



This map shows the location of the parish in the county.

The Scottish Record Office holds the following as part of its collection of maps and plans:

  • 1750: Road plan of Whittingehame, Stenton and East Linton, showing houses, churches, standing stone and plantations. Scale 1:8000. Size 55x77cm. Grid (map) reference NT6174. SRO reference RHP.56/2

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NT642695 (Lat/Lon: 55.917319, -2.574696), Stenton which are provided by:



Here are some figures showing the parish's population through time:

Year Population
1755 631
1801 620
1831 686
1861 692
1871 612
1881 594
1891 556
1901 511


For a social and economic record of the parishes of East Lothian together with considerable statistical material, see Sir John Sinclair's Statistical Account of Scotland, which was compiled in the 1790s. Follow-up works to this were the New Statistical Account (also known as the Second Statistical Account) which was prepared in the 1830s and 1840s; and more recently the Third Statistical Account which has been prepared since the Second World War.

Thanks to a joint venture between the Universities of Glasgow and Edinburgh the First and Second Statistical Accounts can now be accessed on-line at The Statistical Accounts of Scotland, 1791-1799 and 1845.