1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)
"STENTON, a parish, county Haddington, Scotland, consisting of two detached portions, and containing the villages of Beilgrange and Pitcox. The northern, or inland, district extends in length about 3½ miles from N.E. to S.W., with an extreme breadth of 3 miles, and is bounded by the parishes of Prestonkirk, Dunbar, Spott, and Whittingham. The surface is undulating, and the soil fertile. The southern district lies among the Lammermuir hills, and is bounded by Berwickshire, Whittingham, and by the Lammermuirs. The hill of Spartledown, one of the highest of the Lammermuirs, is in this district. The parish is traversed by the road from Dunbar to Gifford, and is within easy access of the Linton and Dunbar station, on the North British railway. The village of Stenton is about 5½ miles W. of Dunbar, and 3½ S.E. of East Linton. The parish of Stenton is in the presbytery of Dunbar, and synod of Lothian and Tweeddale. The stipend of the minister is £323. The parish church was erected in 1829. There are a parochial library and several schools. The principal seat is Beil House, situated near Presmennan Lake."
"BEIL GRANGE, a village in the parish of Stenton, in the county of Haddington, Scotland, 3 miles from Dunbarony"
"PITCOX, a village in the parish of Stenton, county Haddington, Scotland, 4 miles S.E. of Dunbar"
"PRESMENNAN, a loch in the parish of Stenton, county Haddington, Scotland, 7 miles E. of Haddington. It is an artificial lake about 2 miles in length, surrounded by thriving plantations, and gives name to Presmannan House in Lammermuir."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.