"WHITTINGHAM, a parish, containing a post-office village of its own name, in Haddingtonshire. It is bounded on the south by Berwickshire, and on other sides by the parishes of Garvald, Morham, Prestonkirk, Stenton, and Dunbar ... Whittingham parish formed of old two chapelries which were subordinate to the church of Dunbar. The chapel of Whittingham served the lower district, and that of Penshiel the Lammermoor district; and these chapels formed two of the prebends of Dunbar church after its being made, in 1342, a collegiate establishment. Penshiel chapel stood below Penshiel tower, in a glen which is still called from it Chapel-haugh. The Earls of March held their baronial courts at Whittingham." [From the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868]
A lengthier description is available.
The Scottish Genealogy Society holds a list of pre-1855 gravestones in this parish (61 in total) in its library in Edinburgh. Similar lists may be available elsewhere, for example in the East Lothian District Library's Local History Centre at Newton Port in Haddington.
A survey of the churchyard has also been completed recently. The War memorial here commemorates 11 who died in the First World War:
- William Keiller
- William M'Lachlan
- Rev James W Robertson, Lieut.
- Charles Russell
- David Stoddart
- George Burgess
- George Calder
- James Gray
- David Jarvis
- James Jarvis
- Peter Jarvis
A brief history of the church may be found here.
19th Century ministers of the parish:
Rev James Lumsden, a son of the Schoolmaster at Smailholm [Roxburghshire], took up the office in 1804.
Married Isabella Dale of Scoughall, North Berwick, East Lothian, 1807.
Died on 15th April 1850.
Rev Walter Scott, born Balmaghie, Kircudbrightshire, 1820, son of Walter Scott, Boatcroft, took up office in 1847.
Died, unmarried, 19th November 1864.
Rev James Robertson A.M., eldest son of Charles Robertson, schoolmaster of Lethendy, Perthshire, took up office in 1865.
Died 27 May 1920, aged 84, after serving in the parish for 55 years.
The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1627. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the Scottish Record Office as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).
Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. For details of these and other records held at the General Register Office in Edinburgh, see the GRO tutorial.
Extracts for this parish from the 1868 National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland are available.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Whittinghame to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Whittinghame has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
This map shows the location of the parish in the county.
The Scottish Record Office holds the following as part of its collection of maps and plans:
- 1750: Road plan of Whittingehame, Stenton and East Linton, showing houses, churches, standing stone and plantations. Scale 1:8000. Size 55x77cm. Grid (map) reference NT6174. SRO reference RHP.56/2
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NT615674 (Lat/Lon: 55.897837, -2.616756), Whittinghame which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Here are some figures showing the parish's population through time:
For a social and economic record of the parishes of East Lothian together with considerable statistical material, see Sir John Sinclair's Statistical Account of Scotland, which was compiled in the 1790s. Follow-up works to this were the New Statistical Account (also known as the Second Statistical Account) which was prepared in the 1830s and 1840s; and more recently the Third Statistical Account which has been prepared since the Second World War.
Thanks to a joint venture between the Universities of Glasgow and Edinburgh the First and Second Statistical Accounts can now be accessed on-line at The Statistical Accounts of Scotland, 1791-1799 and 1845.