National Gazetteer, 1868
Duirinish - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"DUIRINISH, (or Durinish), a parish in the isle of Skye, in the county of Inverness, Scotland. It is bounded on the N.W. by the sea, and on the E. or landward side, by the parishes of Snizort and Bracadale. It is 19 miles in length, with a breadth of 16 miles. The coast line is so intersected with arms of the sea that it measures 80 miles, irrespective of islets. There are many high headlands. The peninsula of Vaternish, in the N. of the parish, constitutes the quoad sacra parish of Halen. The greater and lesser Hallivails are the only considerable mountains. The soil of the arable lands although stony is for the most part fertile. Macleod of Macleod divides the parish with 8 other proprietors. The mansions are Dunvegan Castle, Vaternish, Orbost, and Grieshernish. This parish is in the presbytery of Skye and synod of Glenelg, and in the patronage of Macleod of Macleod. The minister has a stipend of £158. There is a government church at Vaternish, and a Free church for Duirinish. An annual fair for black cattle is held at Fairy-Bridge, 3 miles from Dunvegan."
"ISSAY, an island lying in Dunvegan Bay, belonging to the parish of Duirinish, Isle of Skye, county Inverness, Scotland. It is a fertile-spot about 2 miles long."
"STEIN, a village in the parish of Duirinish, North West side of the island of Skye, county Inverness, Scotland, 5 miles N. of Dunvegan, and 15 N.W. of Portree. It is situated on Loch Bay. It was formerly the seat of an important herring fishery."
"WATERNISH, a quoad sacra parish in the parish of Duirinish, county Inverness, Scotland. It is situated in the north-western part of the Isle of Skye, between Lochs Snizort and Bay, and includes Stein and the Isle of Issay. It is chiefly the property of the MacDonalds, who have a seat here. The parish is in the presbytery of Skye, and in the patronage of the crown. There are a church and schools."
"ARNISORT, a parish in the county of Inverness, Scotland, now joined to Duirinish."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003