"Name. - The etymology of the name is sufficiently obvious, - Ben a hill, and holme a piece of low-lying level ground. This derivation suggests the idea of a diversified surface of hill and dale; and this is not undescriptive of the general aspect of the parish.
Extent, &c. - The length and breadth of the parish are nearly equal, as it extends about 3 miles from north to south, and the same distance from east to west: consequently it may contain about 9 square miles. It is bounded on the south-west, by the parish of St Cyrus; on the north-west, by that of Garvock; on the north-east, by that of Bervie; and on the south-east, by the German Ocean. The parish forms nearly a square, and is thus remarkably compact."
The New Statistical Account of Scotland, Vol XI Forfar-Kincardine
Monumental Inscriptions of the Parish Church of Benholm have been recorded in Pre-1855 Gravestone Inscriptions in Kincardineshire, edited by Alison Mitchell, Scottish Genealogy Society, 1986, ISBN 0 901061 29 8.
All records of Civil Registration are held at New Register House, Edinburgh. Microfilm copies of births, deaths and marriages for the years 1855 - 1875, 1881 and 1891 have been filmed by the LDS and can be ordered to any family history centre worldwide. Please check film numbers before ordering.
- The transcription of the section for Benholm from the National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Benholm to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Benholm has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NO795693 (Lat/Lon: 56.814657, -2.336995), Benholm which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)