"The word Anworth (anciently written Avonwaith) means the course or channel of the river...
The sea-board is generally flat, with the exception of one place on the south at Kirkclauch; but though often rocky, it has no bold headlands. In the interior of the parish, the surface is uneven, broken, and hilly. The most remarkable hill is Cairnharrow, lying partly in Anworth and partly in Kirkmabreck, the height of which is 1100 feet...
Of the 9023 acres of which the parish consists, about one-fouth is arable and meadow, and the remaining three-fourths woodlands or hill pasture. Leases generally vary in duration from fifteen to nineteen years...
...The breed of the cattle are chiefly of the pure Galloway kind, with a few Highland and Irish descent. The sheep are mostly of the black-faced breed, with a few Leicester and Southdowns.
The market town of Gatehouse is divided from the parish by the Fleet; of which, indeed, a considerable portion, called Fleet Street, lies on the Anworth side of the river. There is no village nor post-office in the parish, Gatehouse being the post town.
Anworth is bounded on the south by Wigton and Fleets bays; on the east, by the parish of Girthon, from which it is separated by the river Fleet; and on the north and west by the parish of Kirkmabreck. It is about six and a-half miles long from north-east to south-west, and three and a-half broad from east to west. The number of acres in the parish, according to Ainslie's map of the Stewartry is 9023, The ancient parish of Kirkdale, which lay between those of Anwoth and Kirkmabreck, was suppressed in 1635, and apportioned between these two parishes, Kirkmabreck receiving the larger share."
Rev. Thomas Johnstone, Minister, New Statistical Account, Blackwood.
History, Kirkcudbright. The New Statistical Account of Scotland, 2nd Series, W Blackwood, 1845.
The Church Yard of Anworth has had pre-1855 monumental inscriptions transcribed and indexed. The index and transcribed inscriptions are included in a series of volumes that cover all of Kirkcudbrightshire. Anworth is in volume 1. Refer to the county page for additional details.
"The parish church is situated rather more than a mile from Gatehouse, and about half a mile inland from the Fleet. It was rebuilt about seventeen years ago on a piece of ground about 250 yards from the old venerable structure...
...There is a Dissenting chapel in Anworth at Fleet Street, belonging to the Secession, but only about forty persons in the parish attend it. The number of Roman Catholics is about 20. There are a few "Free Church" adherents in the parish, who attend public worship in Gatehouse..."
Rev. Thomas Johnstone, Minister, New Statistical Account, Blackwood,
Church of Scotland records are held at the General Register Office in Edinburgh. Copies of the pairsh register on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Refer to the county page for additional details.
|Church of Scotland||1727-1854||1728-1811, 1827-1829||1735-1792||OPR 855|
Kirk Session Notes: The Kirk Session minutes start in 1747 and continue into the twentieth century, there are many gaps in this time frame. (CH2 14) Refer to the county page for additional details.
- The transcription of the section for Anwoth from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Anwoth to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Anwoth has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NX562569 (Lat/Lon: 54.885788, -4.243464), Anwoth which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)