"A village and a parish in the S of Edinburghshire. The village stands 605 feet above sea-level, on the right bank of the South Esk, 3 miles SW of Gorebridge station, 7 S by W of Dalkeith, and 12 ¼ SSE of Edinburgh. It is a quiet, sequestered, little place, with a post office under Gorebridge.
The parish is bounded NE by Borthwick, SE by Heriot, S and SW by Innerleithen and Eddleston in Peeblesshire, and NW by Penicuik and Carrington. Its utmost length, from N by E to S by W, is 8 1/8 miles; its utmost breadth is 5 5/8 miles; and the area is 22½ square miles or 14,250 ¾ acres. A detached part of the parish, containing the greater part of Gorebridge village, and comprising 228 acres, was transferred by teh Boundary Commissioners in 1891 to the parish of Borthwick. The river South Esk, rising at an altitude of 1700 feet on the western slope of Blackhope Scar, winds 9 7/8 miles north-by-eastward through all the length of the parish, and quits it at the influx of Fullarton and Redside Burn, which traces all the north-western border."
(Extract from Groomes Ordnance Gazetteer
Monumental inscriptions for Old Temple can be found at the Local Studies Centre in Loanhead.
|Clerkington Church, Temple, Church of Scotland|
|Temple Old Church, Temple, Church of Scotland|
|Temple Parish Church, Temple, Church of Scotland|
|St Margaret's, Gorebridge, Roman Catholic|
|Hunter Square, Gorebridge, United Presbyterian|
The parish church has records for births dating from 1688, for marriages from 1689 and for deaths from 1697. These are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh and copies on microfilm may be consulted in the Midlothian Studies Centre in Loanhead and also in LDS Family History Centres around the world.
The transcription of the section for Temple from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Temple to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Temple has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NT305535 (Lat/Lon: 55.769917, -3.109883), Temple which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
The graveyard of the Old Kirk contains a war memorial, listing 18 names, as follows:
- Neil Primrose MC (Royal Bucks Hussars) [Note - Neil James Archibald Primrose was the second son of the 5th Earl of Roseberry,%20former Prime Minister]
- George Alves (Cameron Hdrs)
- William Alves (Cameron Hdrs)
- George Beattie (Black Watch)
- James W Blake (RG Artillery)
- John A Temple Blake (Can Mtd Rifles)
- Thomas Fullerton (Royal Engineers)
- George Johnston (Royal Scots)
- Martin Joyce (47th Bat Can)
- Robert Lees (KOSB)
- James McDougall (A&S Hdrs)
- Donald McGlashan (RF Artillery)
- Andrew Neill (Scots Guards)
- Thomas Ramage (A&S Hdrs)
- Archibald Young (Black Watch)
- James Young (Cameron Hdrs)
1939 – 1945
Following the Poor Law Act of 1843, the parish joined the Dalkeith Combination to provide poor relief in the Dalkeith Poorhouse.