"INNERKIP, village and parish in extreme west of Renfrewshire. ..... The parish contains also the town of Gourock, measures 6¼ miles by 5¾ miles and comprises 12,549 acres. ..... Pop., quoad civilia, 5359; quoad sacra, 882. The surface is bounded on the east by lofty hills, on the north and the west by Firth of Clyde, on the south by Kelly burn; is intersected south-westward by the narrow vale of Kip rivulet; consists chiefly of bleak moors and pastoral heights; has a narrow strip of low ground along the coast; and exhibits great diversity of feature, and considerable aggregate of embellishment. The seats are Ardgowan, Kelly, Leven, Langhouse, Ashburn, and Gourock House; and antiquities are Ardgowan old tower and a Roman bridge on Dunrod burn. Five places of worship and 2 public schools are in Gourock." ...
"... The village stands on Kip rivulet, 3 furlongs from its mouth, and 6 miles south-west of Greenock; is a pleasant place with charming environs; and has a post office under Greenock, a railway station, a hotel, a handsome Established church, a Free church, a fine mausoleum of the Shaw-Stewart family, and a public school with about 172 scholars. Pop. 580."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]
Records in the old parish registers (OPRs) for Innerkip or Inverkip parish span the following years:
Births or Baptisms ~ 1694-1854
Marriages or Banns ~ 1757-1854
Deaths or Burials ~ no records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Inverkip to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Inverkip has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NS230731 (Lat/Lon: 55.917954, -4.833497), Inverkip which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)