"TARBAT, a parish in the district of Easter Ross, county Ross and Cromarty, Scotland. It comprises the villages of Portmahomach, Balnabruach, and Rockfield. It extends in length about 7½ miles from N.E. to S.W., with an extreme breadth of 4½ miles; and is bounded by the Dornoch and Moray Firths, and by the parish of Fearn. The land is of a fertile character, and the soil generally light and sandy, with a deep black loam in some parts. Tarbat Ness, the ancient Aræ Finium, is marked by a revolving lighthouse, put up in 1830; it is 175 feet above sea-level, and is visible at a distance of 18 miles. The coast, which is 15 miles in extent, is rocky, but has several natural harbours and small creeks. The village of Tarbat is about 10 miles N.E. of Tain, between Dornoch and Moray Firths. In its vicinity are ruins of several castles and of a chapel. Many of its inhabitants are employed in the fisheries, and some in a hemp factory. This parish is in the presbytery of Tain and synod of Ross. The stipend of the minister is about £270. The parish church stands in the centre of the parish. There are a Free church, also a parochial school, Gaelic school, and a private school. The principal modern seat is Geanies."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- The transcription of the section for Tarbat from the National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tarbat to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Tarbat has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NH905833 (Lat/Lon: 57.825482, -3.844538), Tarbat which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)