Gazetteers - Llandrygarn


The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

National Gazetteer (1868)

"LLANDRYGARN, a parish in the hundred of Llyfon, county Anglesey, 2 miles from Gwyndy, 4 miles S.W. of Llanerchymedd, and 6 N.W. of Llangefni, its post town. The parish includes the hamlet and chapelry of Gwyndu. It is a small agricultural place. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bangor, value with that of Bodwrog annexed, £125, in the patronage of Jesus College, Oxford. The church is dedicated to St. Trygan. There are small charities of about £2 per annum. Here are some remains of the old seat of Rhys ap Llewelyn, who assisted Henry VII. at Bosworth.,"

"GWYNDY, a chapelry in the parish of Llandrygarn, county Anglesey, 3 miles S.W. of Llanerchymedd."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

A Topographical Dictionary of Wales
Samuel Lewis, 1833

LLANDRYGARN (LLAN-DRYGARN), a parish in the hundred of LLYVON, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 3 miles (S. W.) from Llanerchymedd, containing, with the chapelry of Gwyndy, 449 inhabitants. This parish is chiefly distinguished as having been the residence of Rhys ab Llewelyn ab Hwlkyn, who, for his services at the battle of Bosworth Field; was by mandate of Henry VII. permitted to assume the surname of Bodychan, from his family mansion, and appointed first sheriff of Anglesey, which office he held till his decease. Of this ancient mansion, one of the towers, of which there are still some remains, was formerly used as the county prison, and the other parts have been converted into a barn and farm-offices. The chapelry of Gwyndy appears to have derived that appellation from the White House, formerly the half-way hotel and posting-house between Bangor and Holyhead, but which, since the building of the bridge at Bangor, and the diversion of the road, has fallen into comparative disuse. A branch post-office is kept here, under the office at Bangor, for the accommodation of families resident in the neighbourhood. This parish formerly constituted part of the parish of Holyhead. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to that of Bodwrog, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor, endowed with £400 royal bounty, and £ 600 parliamentary grant. The church, dedicated to St. Trygan, is a small and very ancient structure. Dr. Wynne, chancellor of Llandaf, gave a portion of the tithes to the Principal and Fellows of Jesus' College, Oxford, in trust for the poor of this parish ; and there are some other charitable donations and bequests, of which the produce is annually distributed according to the will of the benefactors. In the chapelry of Gwyndy, large hammers rudely formed of trap rock, and handmills of various sizes, made of chert, marble, and freestone, of which the smaller were rudely, and the larger well, formed, have at various times been found. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £ 197. 1.


GWYNDY (GWIN-DY, or GWYN-DY), a chapelry in the parish of LLANDRYGARN, hundred of LLYVON, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 12 1/2 miles (E. by S.) from Bangor. The population is included in the return for the parish. It formerly formed a part of the parish of Holyhead, and is considered to be situated half-way between that port and Menai bridge, though somewhat nearer the former. There is a post-office attached to the inn, which is the principal house in the place.

(Copied using  the Cd published by Archive Cd Books)