Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Eglwys Cymyn

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Eglwys Cymyn

Primary tabs

"EGLWYS-CUMMIN (EGLWYS-CYMMYN), a parish, in the union of NARBERTH, lower division of the hundred of DERRLYS, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 4 miles (S.W.) from St. Clear's, near the road to Haverfordwest; containing 349 inhabitants. . . the parish is of great extent, and is situated at the south-western extremity of the county, on the borders of Pembrokeshire . . . a considerable portion of it is at present uncultivated. . . The church [is] dedicated to St. Margaret . . . A National school, containing about 110 children, was established in 1832, and is supported by funds bequeathed by the late Mrs. Bevan. . . There are some vestiges of an ancient military earthwork in a field, which, from that circumstance, has obtained the appelation of "Castell Park"." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]


Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • St Margaret's Parish Church John Rees Taylor, Rector, Pendine, Nr Laugharne
  • Elim, Eglwyscummin Ind Erected in 1832 David Mathias, Independent Minister, Elim, Nr St Clears

Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books).

  • St Margaret
  • Incumbent and Curates; D Jones
  • Rural Deanery of St Clears
  • Acreage 3,724 ; Population 207

Eglwys Cymyn Church - on the Cistercian Way site

    Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710 National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Eglwys Cymming

    Price, D. M. A guide to three ancient churches near Pendine: St. Margaret's Pendine, Eglwys Cynin, St. Lawrence's, Marros. D. M. Price, [1985?] 32p: ill; 21cm.

    Treherne,Geo G T. (1920)Eglwys Cymmin Epitaphs W. Spurrel and Son: Carmarthen.


    Church Records

    Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site

    Parish registers: Christenings (1731-1982), Marriages (1731-51, 1838-1970) and Burials (1731-1984) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.

    Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1690, 1693-6, 1698-9, 1701-3, 1705, 1707-8, 1716, 1720-2, 1725-7, 1729-30, 1733, 1739-41, 1744-51, 1753-1800, 1802-16, 1818-67, 1869) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.

    PR M 1754-1812 recorded in 1831 apparantly lost

    Copy of Parish registers: Christenings (1732-1812), Marriages (1732-51) and Burials (1731-1812) - Transactions of the Carmarthenshire Antiquarian Society, 5 & 8 (1909-10).

    Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 14 - Derllys Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)

    See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

    Nonconformist Chapels:

    • Chapel (Calvinistic Methodist, c1870), Red Roses Rhos-goch CM chapel, Red Roses SN20481177 Built c 1872 Not open 1997 Coflein
    • Ebenezer (Independent, c1862) SN24311065 Date plaque on chapel exterior: "Founded 1862. Bicentenary of heroes of conscience". Built 1864 Not open 1997 Coflein
      Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (Oct 2008)
    • Elim (Independent, 1832), south west of Llanddowror village (right on parish border) Records with those of Bethlehem (St Clears) SN23651299 Built 1832; rebuilt/modified 1872 & 1902. Still open 1997 Coflein On Dyfed FHS (under Llanddowror) Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
      Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (Oct 2008)

    Description and Travel

    The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

    • Area 3740 acres; Population 163 males, 150 females, total 313

      You can see pictures of Eglwys Cymyn which are provided by:



      The transcription of the section for Eglwys Cymyn from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.

      Ask for a calculation of the distance from Eglwys Cymyn to another place.

      Click here for a list of nearby places.


      Historical Geography

      You can see the administrative areas in which Eglwys Cymyn has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



      Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish

      Names, Geographical

      Places, villages, farms etc within Eglwys Cymyn as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Lynne Kleingertner)

      • Eglwys Cymyn (56); Brandy Hill, East Pool, Eglwys Cummin, Eglwys Cymmyn, Manor Court, Pantyrhyad, Pen coed, Rhos-goch, Rhyd-y-fran, Tre-moillet, West Pool, West Rose, Windleway,