"EGERMONT, otherwise EGREMONT, a parish, in the union of NARBERTH, lower division of the hundred of DERLLYS, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 5 mile (N. by W.) from Narberth; containing 140 inhabitants. This parish, which borders on the county of Pembroke, and is pleasantly situated on the eastern branch of the river Cleddau, is about two miles and a half in length, and, in the widest part, about two miles in breadth; the surrounding scenery, though pleasantly varied, is not distinguished by any particularity of feature. Stone of very good quality for building is found, and some quarries are worked. . . The church, dedicated to St. Michael, was rebuilt in 1839, in a plain, but neat style, partly by means of a grant of £40 from the Incorporated Society. There are some vestiges of an ancient encampment on an elevation above the church; and a stone, with an inscription in very rude characters, WANTACUS, with a cross heading; it was found in the churchyard, and is now in the western pew-end of the church. The word MANTACUS above, and the Latin word "Agger", a head of stones or earth, appicable to the ancient encampment, may account for the etymology of "Egger-mount." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Llandyssilio with Egremont from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books).
Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710 National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Egremond
Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site
Parish registers: Christenings (1813-1968) and Marriages (1813-1865) Burials (1819-1901) at the Carmarthenshire Record Office
PR all prior to 1813 recorded as lost in 1831. Diocesan records suggest that c 1790 they went back only to 1778
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1671, 1677-9, 1683-4, 1686, 1699, 1703, 1794, 1796-1800, 1802-3, 1805-7, 1809-10, 1812-37, 1851-2, 1863-59, 1870, 1875-6) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 14 - Derllys Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Non-conformist chapels - none found in this parish
The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;
The transcription of the section for Egremont from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Egremont to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Egremont has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). With the kind permission of the publishers sundry extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see below for this parish.
- Nonconformity and Methodism. The Older Dissent---Expansion and Organisation;---"It may be well to exemplify this process (of expansion) by giving some detail of the 'life history' of one or two of the 'mother-churches'...............No better example could be chose than the historic Presbyterian-Independent church of Henllan Amgoed. Henllan meeting house itself (1696-7) was but the metropolis of a far flung community which straggled over the whole of Carmarthenshire west of the river Cynin, and even strayed across the eastern Cleddau and the Crunwear brook into Pembrokeshire. Its members had been worshipping at private houses, duly registered in accordance with the Toleration Act; -------such were.........and an unnamed house in Egremont parish........"
- The Age of the Native Princes. The Early Church. --- "No vestige remains of any ecclesiastical building erected during this period (400-1282)......the abundance of wood led to the neglect of the use of stone for this purpose............but stone was used.......setting up memorials to the dead...........these are found in association with many sacred sites in Carmarthenshire........indicate places of Christian interment as early as the sixth century............... inscriptions with the Latin character only are recorded from..........and Egremont."
- Castles, Boroughs and Religious Houses. The Motte and Bailey Castle. --- "....in the narow projection into Pembrokeshire lay the the centre of the lordship of Egremont, the name of which has been borrowed from the continent..."
- "The castles are of three types --- mottes, with and without baileys, shell-keep, and gatehouse structures. Of the first class there are twenty nine that can definitely be identified. The Inventory of Ancient Monuments adds Castell Cossan, and the earthwork above Llandre Farm in Egremont..........the latter is too indeterminate, so disfigured is it by modern burials of animals.."
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN099197 (Lat/Lon: 51.843705, -4.761329), Egremont which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Egremont as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Katherine Hocking)