"A parish in the Union of Ruthin, hundred of Yale, county of Denbigh, 4 miles (SW) from Mold, containing 778 inhabitants. ..... It is situated on the north-eastern confines of the county, bordering upon Flintshire, and is watered by the river Alyn, which ..... flowing northward through this parish, adds much interest and beauty to the surrounding scenery. ..... The parish abounds with mineral treasures, and within its limits are some extensive lead-mines, which have been worked from a very early period." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The ancient parish contains the townships of Llys y Cil, Trecolomendy, and Tresgubor.
Ordnance Survey reference SJ 188605.
The church, which is dedicated to St. Berres, was mentioned in the Lincoln Taxation of 1291. It was largely rebuilt in 1774/1775, with additions in 1843. There were further additions, and a major restoration, in 1892.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
"Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civil parish of Llanferres :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|1586 - 1945||1588 - 1990||1587 - 1997|
- Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|1587 - 1810||1588 - 1837||1587 - 1810|
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth; and those for the years 1841 to 1842 have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales||Microfilmed copies|
|1666 - 1837||1666 - 1837|
|Deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin||Microfilmed copies|
|1841 - 1842||None|
- The following have been incorporated into the I.G.I., as part of an "official extraction" programme.
They were extracted from the Bishop's Transcripts, not from the Parish Registers.
|1814 - 1837||1814 - 1837|
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llanferres was assigned to the No. 1 ("Llanarmon") sub-district of the Ruthin Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Ruthin poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llanferres are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Ruthin XXVII.nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Ruthin 11b.nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llanferres to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Llanferres has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
"North-East Wales Churches and Ancient Parish Boundaries" produced by Clwyd Record Office in 1994, published by Genuki with the permission of Flintshire Record Office and Denbighshire Archives
'This is the map used in making the apportionment of the tithes in the Parish of Llanferres in the County of Denbigh' - on the People's Collection Wales site
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ186611 (Lat/Lon: 53.140562, -3.218093), Llanferres which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- In 1831- the population was 705.
- In 1901- the population was 499.
[Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]