The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"LLANGEDWYN, a parish in the hundred of Chirk, county Denbigh, 4 miles N.E. of Llanfyllin, and 7 S.W. of Oswestry, its post town. It is situated on the river Tanat, here crossed by a bridge, and includes the township of Scrwgan. There are slate quarries. The tithes were commuted in 1839. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £130. The church is dedicated to St. Cedwyn. The charities produce about £13 per annum. Llangedwyn Hail, the seat of Sir W. W. Wynn, Bart., M.P., is the principal residence. It is at present occupied by C. W. W. Wynn, Esq. Brnygwalian is also a residence in this parish, belonging to the Maurice family."
"SCRWGAN, a township in the parish of Llangedwyn, county Denbigh, 10 miles S.W. of Chirk."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018