"A parish in the poor-law union of Llanfyllin, in the Cynlleth and Mochnant divisions of the hundred of Chirk, county of Denbigh; 10 miles (WSW) from Oswestry, on the road from Shrewsbury to Bala, containing 323 inhabitants. This parish was formerly a chapelry to Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant, but was separated from that parish by Act of Parliament, and formed into a parish of itself. The village is pleasantly situated on the banks of the river Tanant; the neighbourhood abounds with pleasingly varied scenery; and in the environs are some good mansions, the residences of respectable families. ..... Slate of good quality has recently been discovered within the parish." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]

The parish was originally a chapelry of Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant, comprising (according to Archdeacon Thomas) the townships of Llangedwyn and Esgair Gwgan. In 1877, portions of the townships of Sycharth and Priddbwll, were added to it from the parish of Llansilin.


Church History

Ordnance Survey reference SJ 188241.
The church, which is dedicated to St. Cedwyn, was mentioned in the Norwich Taxation. It was restored in 1869 / 1870.

The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.

 ST CEDWYN'S CHURCH, LLANGEDWYN  - on the People's Collection Wales site

Nonconformist Churches

"Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" did not list any nonconformist places of worship in the Civil parish of Llangedwyn.


Church Records

Parish Registers

  • The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
    They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
    These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
1672 - 19311697 - 19521675 - 1937
  • Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
1672 - 18131697 - 18121675 - 1812

Bishop's Transcripts

  • Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
    Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
    The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
    In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
Deposited at the National Library of WalesMicrofilmed copies
1667 - 18391667 - 1838


  • There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. Cedwyn's, Llangedwyn.

Civil Registration

When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llangedwyn was assigned to the No. 3 ("Llanrhaeadr") sub-district of the Llanfyllin Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Llanfyllin poor law Union.

In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llangedwyn are in the format :

  • Years 1837 - 1851: Llanfyllin XXVII.nnn
  • Years 1851 - 1930: Llanfyllin 11b.nnn

(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)


Description & Travel

Llangedwyn - on wikipedia

Various landscapes/buildings  - on the People's Collection Wales site

You can see pictures of Llangedwyn which are provided by:



The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.



North-East Wales Churches and Ancient Parish Boundaries" produced by Clwyd Record Office in 1994, published by Genuki with the permission of Flintshire Record Office and Denbighshire Archives

Map of Llangedwin parish in the County of Denbigh   -  on the People's Collection Wales site

View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ190244 (Lat/Lon: 52.811422, -3.202515), Llangedwyn which are provided by:



  • In 1831- the population was 323.
  • In 1901- the population was 360.
    [Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]


  • Archdeacon Thomas gives the area of the parish as 1627 acres.
    [ The History of the Diocese of St. Asaph , 1908-1913, Ven. D.R. Thomas]