The new parish of Towyn was created by an Order in Council on 22 September 1873. It comprises the whole of the township of Towyn, part of the township of Cegidog Isaf, which until then had been in the parish of St. George, and parts of the townships of Bodoryn and Bodtegwal, which had until then been in the parish of Abergele
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Towyn St Mary Church.
Ordnance Survey reference SH 973794.
The church, which is dedicated to St. Mary, was consecrated on 17 June 1873.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Nonconformist places of worship for Towyn were included in the "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" under the Civil parish of Abergele. Details will be found on the parish page for Abergele.
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|1873 - 1965||1877 - 1966||None|
- No Bishop's Transcripts have been deposited for St. Mary's, Towyn.
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. Mary's, Towyn.
The new parish of Towyn was assigned to the St. Asaph Registration District.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Towyn are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: St. Asaph XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: St. Asaph 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Towyn to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Towyn has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
North-East Wales Churches and Ancient Parish Boundaries" produced by Clwyd Record Office in 1994, published by Genuki with the permission of Flintshire Record Office and Denbighshire Archives
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH975795 (Lat/Lon: 53.302498, -3.539575), Towyn which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- In 1831- this was not a separate parish.
- In 1901- the population was 355.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]