Trecynon in the Parish of Aberdare
"St. Fagan's is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1856; the church, at TRECYNON, 1½ miles north-west destroyed by fire, and rebuilt at the expense of the late Lady Windsor, in 1854, at a cost of £5600, is a building of stone, in the Gothic style, ...: in the chancel is a fine stained window there are 600 sittings. The register dates from they 1855. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value, £350: with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff and the Board of Patronage, ... St. Winifred's, in Windsor street, TRECYNON, erected in 1885 as a chapel of ease to St. Fagan's, is now used as a church hall." [From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]
The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-
- Hen-dy-Cwrdd Unitarian Church
- St. Fagan
Various items - on People's Collection Wales
- Hen Dŷ Cwrdd, Trecynon
- Receipt relating to Hen Dŷ Cwrdd, Trecynon. This document lists the appointment of trustees of the 'Meeting House' (Hen Dŷ Cwrdd), and the assignment of the school room in 1904 and the lease for 23 years of 2 & 3 Alma Street in 1913. The receipt itself is dared 1880 and the reverse lists the time-line of leases dating from 1796.
- Heol-y-Felin Chapel, Trecynon
- Banner titled 'Ysgol Sabbathol M.C. Brynseion Trecynon' [Brynseion, Calvinistic Methodist Chapel Trecynon, Sunday School]
- Banner titled 'Ysgol Sabathol Noddfa Bedyddwyr Trecynon' [Noddfa Baptists Sunday School, Trecynon]
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg for St Fagan
The church is dedicated to St. Fagan, is in the Benefice of Aberdare St. Fagan, and Diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be found at grid reference SN993038.
|Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff|
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Aberdare, St. Fagan Ecclesiastical Parish records "St. Fagan's, Aberdare is a modern parish within the rural deanery, archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaff. It is situated in the village of Trecynon near the town of Aberdare in the Rhondda valley. The parish was formed from the ancient parish of Aberdare in 1856................................"
|Non Conformist Registers Deposited|
|Chapel||Baptisms||Marriages||Burials||OS Map Ref||Deposited|
|Heol-y-felin, Ebenezer, Congregational||-||-||1811-1835||SN 99430357||PRO|
|Hen Dy Cwrdd, Unitarian||1788-1793||-||-||SN 99530351||GRO|
PRO - Public Record Office, London
GRO - Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Trecynon in the Parish of Aberdare to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Trecynon in the Parish of Aberdare has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN997034 (Lat/Lon: 51.720324, -3.453385), Trecynon in the Parish of Aberdare which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)