Hide

Nantymoel in the Parish of Llangeinor

hide
Hide

"NANTYMOEL is a conventional district formed in 1914; it lies at the extreme end of Ogmore Valley, and has a station on the Llynvi and Ogmore branch of the Great Western railway, 10 miles by rail from Bridgend. The church of St. Peter, erected in 1890 as a chapel of ease to Llangeinor, is a building of stone the Early English style,... there are 240 sittings. In 1921 the living was constituted a vicarage, net yearly value £250; it is in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff and the Board of Patronage, ... The church of St. Paul, erected in 1909 at a cost of £1950, as a chapel of ease to Llangenor, is a stone building in the Early English style,....: there are 300 sittings. The Rev. Henry Withers has been curate in charge since 1918. A cemetery of 5 acres, formed in 1887, at a cost of £3.500, contains a chapel and mortuary; it is under the control of the Ogmore and Garw Urban District Council. The Nantymoel Workmen's Hall, and Instiute, erected in 1909 at a cost of £4000, and enlarged in 1910 at a cost of £3000, is used for concerts and other entertainments, and will hold 1000 persons; attached to the hall is a reading room, a small hall, ending library, billiard and games rooms. Here is the Ocean coal pit." [From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]

Hide
topup

Church History

Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site

  • This is the Memorial Scroll hung in Saron Welsh Baptist Chapel, Nantymoel to record the service and ultimate sacrifice of some of the congregation during the Great War. Saron Chapel was demolished in 1985 and the scroll was donated to the Ogmore Valley Local History Society in 2009.
  • 1915 Certificate of Merit issued to May Jones of Bethany Chapel, Blaenogwy, Nantymoel, Ogmore Valley by the Calvinistic Methodist Society Sunday School Union.
topup

Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

Nonconformist Registers Deposited
Chapel Baptisms Marriages Burials OS Map Ref Deposited
Horeb, Baptist - 1982-1988 - SS 93579255 GRO
Dinam, Calvinistic Methodist 1903-1918 - - SS 93539257 NLW
Dinam, Calvinistic Methodist - 1912-1985 - SS 93539257 GRO

GRO - Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
NLW - National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth

topup

Description & Travel

Various landscapes - on the People's Collection Wales site

You can see pictures of Nantymoel in the Parish of Llangeinor which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Nantymoel in the Parish of Llangeinor has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS934932 (Lat/Lon: 51.627484, -3.541436), Nantymoel in the Parish of Llangeinor which are provided by:

topup

Military History

Certificate issued to all returning colliers to the Ocean Collieries. This certificate was issued to D. L. Thomas who returned to the Ocean Western Colliery in Nantymoel, Ogmore Valley. - on the People's Collection Wales site

topup

Occupations

Wyndham/Western Colliery, Nantymoel on the Welsh Coal Mines site

Nantymoel Workmens' Hall and Institute - records in the South Wales Coalfield Collection

Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site

  • Ocean Coal Company Pay Slip for Charles Davies when he was working at the Ocean Western Colliery, Nantymoel in the Ogmore Valley.(1931)
  • Ocean Western Colliery Payslip 1899
  • 1907 Wyndham Colliery payslip for Edward Jones a labourer in the 6 feet Seam.1907
  • 1877 Funeral card for John Sinnett killed in a mining accident (fall of stone) in the "Edwards Pit" Nantymoel.
  • Invitation to the Ocean Coal Company’s "Celebration of Peace" dinner at Treorchy to Mr William J. Morris, an Official of the Ocean Western Colliery, Nantymoel, Ogmore Valley.
  • A 5 years service medal was awarded to Harry Radcliffe whilst serving on the Wyndham Colliery Mines Rescue Team.
  • This is the official Contract book that after the 1905 agreement contained the colliers daily signature for all those colliers that were given work in the Ocean Western Colliery, (1872 - 1984) Ogmore Vale.