"LLAN GEINWYR, in the Cwmwd of Maenor ,Glynn Ogwr, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Ogmore), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Perpetual Curacy, not in charge, of the certified value of £10.: Patron, Thomas Mansell Talbot, Esq. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 280. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £103..3..0, at 8s. 6d. in the pound. It is 7 m. N. E. from Bridgend. This Parish contains about 5000 acres of Land, principally uninclosed. It is supposed to take its name, from the cold situation of the Church. It is a hilly District, and the soil is in general poor. Its produce is Sheep, Cattle, some Wheat, Oats, and Barley. The veins of Coal, and Iron ore, are abundant. The Tythes of the Parish belong to Thomas Mansell Talbot, Esq. It is divided by the river Ogwr on the East and South, by the river Gan on the West, and by Landmarks on the North upon the Hill between this and the Parish of Llan Gwynwyd Fawr. According to the Diocesan Report, in 1809, the yearly value of this Benefice, arising from Stipend, and Augmentation, was £29.13..0." (A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811)
"LLANGEINOR (LLAN-GEINWYR); a parish in the hundred of OGMORE, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 7 miles (N. by E.) from Bridgend, containing 292 inhabitants. The rivers Ogmore and Garw run through the parish, which contains iron-ore and coal, but the latter only is worked, and that merely for local consumption. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf, endowed with £600 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of C. R. M. Talbot, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Gwinewr. There is a place of worship for Baptists. Robert Jenkins, Esq., in 1766, and his widow, Anne Jenkins, in 1771, left £20 each, and the late Dr. Hoare, Principal of Jesus' College, Oxford, gave £ 127. 10., for the benefit of the poor, among such of whom as do not receive parochial relief the interest of these sums is periodically distributed. In this parish is one of the ancient court - houses, now generally called church-houses, which is appropriated to the residence of paupers. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £85. 15." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833)
Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.
An on-line contents list of the book The History of the Llynfi Valley has been provided by Daniel Verkys.
An on-line index of the book Ogmore, Llynfi & Garw Valleys in Old Photographs has been provided by Huw Daniel
- Blaengarw Steam Coal Company
1851-58: details of shipments of coal
[Glamorgan Archive Service, Cardiff - Reference: D/D NCB]
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
The church is dedicated to St. Ceinor, is in the Benefice of Llangeinor, and the diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SS924879.
[The church of St. Cein, Llangeinor and St. David's, Pontycymmer are now in the Parish of Llangeinor and Garw Valley.]
|Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff|
|Nonconformist Registers Held at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth|
|Chapel||Baptisms||Marriages||Burials||OS Map Ref|
|Hermon, Calvinistic Methodist||1896-1952||-||-||SS 93359021|
The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-
- Llangeinor, St. Ceinor - Christenings (BT's), 1801-1865
Modern Parishes & Chapels of Ease :-
Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site
- One of the first passenger railway tickets Blaengarw to Llangeinor ticket number 000 dated 1902
- The old station, Llangeinor, 2013 and old carriage
Transcript of complete name listing for Maesteg, with the parishes and villages of Cwmdu, Baidan, Bettws, Llangeinor, Llangynwyd, Nantyfyllon and Spelter, from Slaters Directory for 1880.
Transcript of complete name listing for Llantrissant, with Brynsadler, New Mill and Tonyrefail, from the Post Office Directory, for 1871
The transcription of the section for Llangeinor from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llangeinor to another place.
Dr Richard Price - on Bridgend.gov.uk's Hall of Fame site
"Richard Price was born at Tynton, Llangeinor, Glamorgan on 23 February 1723. He was the son of Rees and Catherine. He was educated at Pentwyn, Chancefield and Moorfield and from 1740-1744 he studied at the dissenting academy in London.................................."
You can see the administrative areas in which Llangeinor has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- An index to items held by Huw Daniel pertaining to The Ogmore Valley. The page also contains a list of the contents of the annual publications of the Ogmore Valley Local History & Heritage Society
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS915899 (Lat/Lon: 51.597656, -3.56751), Llangeinor which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Llangeinor as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)
- Llangeinor (64); Blackmill; Blaenclydwyn; Blaen Garw; Blaengarw (village); Braich yr Hydd; Bryn y Wrach; Bwlch Garw; Carn-yr-hyrddod; Cefn-machen Isaf; Cefn-machen Uchaf; Cem.; Cemetery; Craig Tal-y Fan; Cwm ? (just above Llangeinor village); Cwm Garw; Cwm Gelli-wern; Cwm Nant-hir; Cwm Nant-y-moel; Cyffog; Daren Goch; Ffawyddog; Fforch-wen; Ffronwen; Ffynnon-dwym; Garn Lloyd?; Gelli'r-on; Glyn-y-glowr; GWR; Hospital; Llangeinor (village); Lluest; Llys Cwmllorwg; Mynydd Llangeinor; Nant-dyrys; Nant-hir; Nant-y-moel; Ogmore (Ogwr) River; Ogmore Vale (village); Pant Blaen-hirwr; Pant-y-gog; Pentre-beili; Pen y Foel; Pontyrhyl; Pont y Cymmer; Pwll-y-garn; Res.; Rhiw Fer; Rhiw-Mynach; Ty-? (just below Llangeinor village); Ty-mwnwr uchaf; Werfa; Wyndham Pit
The Population of Llangeinor was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.
|1841 - 363||1851 - 350||1861 - 363||1871 - 1,005||1881 - 2,992||1891 - 8,004|
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Llangeinor Burial Board records " ...... includes: minutes, 1886-1921; ledgers, cash books, and burial fees account books, 1886-1921; register of burial fees, 1903-1911 (includes names of those buried); registers of graves, 1908-1923."
"....... established in 1886, by the Llangeinor parish vestry, Llangeinor (or Llangeinwyr), Glamorgan. Two committees were set up, one for the Ogmore valley and one for the Garw valley, and cemeteries were opened at Pwll-y-pant, in Ogmore Vale, in 1887, and at Gelliron, in Pontycymmer, in 1889. The Burial Board was taken over in 1921, by Ogmore and Garw Urban District Council, under section 62 of the Local Government Act 1894."
- Llangeinor Civil Parish records " ....... comprising overseer's rate book, 1880; overseer's account, 1684-1685; petty constable's account, 1700; warrant to petty constable, 1700; agreement to build new bridge at Abergarw, 1785; notice of vestry decision concerning footpath, 1875; copy of tithe apportionment, 1844"
Fronwen School Book 1926 - on the Ogmore Valley Local History Society site (Data) - 15mb pdf file)
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Llangeinir School Board records " ......... comprising minute books, 1886-1903; ledger, 1901-1903; Building Account book, 1887-1901"
Recordings of members the community of Llangeinor and the Garw Valley - on the People's Collection Wales site