Nash in the Parish of Llysworney
"Nash is a very small parish adjoining Llysworney, &c. Nash Manor, the residence of John D. Nicholl Carne, Esq., is about half a mile from the village. Population in 1871; 8." [Slaters Commercial Directory, 1880]
"NASH, in the Cwmwd of Pen y Bont, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Cowbridge), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: is Extra-Parochial: Divine Service has not been performed in the Chapel here, within the memory of the oldest Inhabitant. This District comprises 300 acres of Land.It is adjacent to the Parish of Llys Worney."
A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.
"NASH, an extra-parochial district, adjoining the parish of LLISWORNEY, in the hundred of COWBRIDGE, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 2 miles (S. W. by W.) from Cowbridge; containing 10 inhabitants. This place, which is situated in the south- eastern part of the county, and within a short distance of the Bristol Channel, comprises about three hundred acres of rich arable and pasture land, inclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The ancient seat of the Carnes, now the residence of a descendant of that family, is a spacious mansion, chiefly erected in the reign of Elizabeth; the grounds, which are tastefully disposed, comprehend some pleasingly diversified scenery, and the distant views are not destitute of interest. A chapel for the family was formerly regularly served; but divine service has not been performed in it within the memory of the oldest inhabitant." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833 © Mel Lockie 2016]
Various landscapes - on the People's Collection Wales site
The transcription of the section for Nash from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Nash in the Parish of Llysworney to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Nash in the Parish of Llysworney has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS963732 (Lat/Lon: 51.448342, -3.493781), Nash in the Parish of Llysworney which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Carne family of Nash
13thcent-20th cent: deeds 13th cent-1902, estate papers 17th-20th cent, family papers 18th-20th cent, household papers 1628
[Glamorgan Archive Service - Reference: D/D C]
The Population of Nash was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.
|1841 - 10||1851 - 9||1861 - 11||1871 - 8||1881 - 16||1891 - 8|