Michaelston super Avon
"MICHAELSTON super AFAN, in the Cwmwd of Rhwng Nedd ac Afan, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Neath), Co. of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Perpetual Curacy, not in charge: Patron, Lord Vernon: Church dedicated to St. Michael. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 232. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was, £74..9..6. It is 5 m. S.S.E. from Neath. This Parish contains about 1500 acres of inclosed and cultivated Land, and about 1000 acres of Moutain. The Tythes are attached to the estate of The Right Honourable Lord Vernon. It is situate upon the river Afan. According to the Diocesan Report, in 1809, the yearly value of this Benefice, arising from Stipend, and Augmentation, was £60." From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811
Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.
|St Michael, Cwmafan|
|Machpelah, Llanfihangel-Ynys-Afan, Michaelstone Higher|
|Rock Independent Chapel, Cwmafon|
|Seion Independent Chapel, Cwmafon|
|Cwmafan Methodist Chapel, Cwmafon|
|Pelly Street Primitive Methodist Chapel, Cwmafon|
|Salem Calvinisic Methodist Chapel, Salem Road, Cwmafon|
|Tabernacle Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Cwmafan, Llanfihangel-Ynys-Afan Isaf, Michaelstone Lower|
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
The church is dedicated to St. Michael, is in the Benefice of Cwmavon (Michaelston-super-Avon), and the diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SS781919.
|Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff|
|1785-1890||1786-1930||1785-1862, 1868-1890||1827-1830, 1835-1843, 1845-1890||1696, 1723-1728, 1730-1819, 1821-1837|
Michaelston-super-Avon Ecclesiastical Parish records " .......... including registers of baptisms, 1785-1890; marriages, 1786-1930; burials, 1785-1890; banns, 1827-1849; services for St Michaels Church, 1911-1935; services for All Saints, Cwmavon, 1905-1948; parochial church council accounts, 1933-1972"
The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-
- Michaelston-super-Avon, St. Michael - Christenings (BT's), 1813-1870
Transcript of name listing for Michaelston-super-Avon, from Commercial and Trade Directories, for the years:-
|1871||(Post Office Directory)|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Michaelston super Avon to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Michaelston super Avon has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
This diagram shows the position of this parish within the county of Glamorgan - click on this to see a full size diagram of the county
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site
- Plan of the hamlet of Michaelstone Higher in the parish of Michaelstone super Avon in the County of Glamorgan
- Map of the hamlet of Michaelstone Lower in the parish of Michaelstone super Avon in the County of Glamorgan
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS813957 (Lat/Lon: 51.647434, -3.717456), Michaelston super Avon which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Michaelston-super-Avon as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)
- Michaelston Lower (48); Bryn; Bwlch; Chimney ?; Coal Level; Coed-y-parc; Cwmavon (village); Foel Fynyddon; Pant-du;
- Michaelston Higher (49); Afon Afan; Avan Vale Colliery; Bol Las; Cefnmawr; Coal Level (3); Craig Gyfylchi; Cwm Pelenna; Efail-fach; Fforch Dwm; GWR; Gyfylchi; Lletty-lwtd; Moel Troed-y-rhiw; Mynydd Canol; Mynydd Fforch Dwm; Mynydd Nant-y-bar; Mynydd Pen Rhys; Mynydd Rhiw-gregen; Nant Blaen Pelena; Nant Cregen; Nant-y-bar; Pen Moelgrochlef; Pen Rhys Fawr; Pont-rhyd-y-fen; Rhiw-cregen; Ton-mawr; Tunnel; Twyn Pum Erw; Tyle'r-waun; Tynton;
The Population of Michaelston-super-Avon was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.
|1841 - 2,531||1851 - 6,074||1861 - 6,184||1871 - 5,920||1881 - 5,493||1891 - 6,109|