Treorchy in the Parish of Ystradyfodwg
"TREORCHY is a township forming part of the Rhondda Urban District, 10 miles north-west from Pontypridd, with a station on the Rhondda branch of the Great Western railway, and is a conventional district, formed out of the mother parish of Ystradyfodwg (now called Rhondda), 19 May, 1898; it is in the Miskin hundred, Pontypridd petty sessional division and union, rural deanery of Rhondda and archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaff.
The church of St. George, CWMPARC, situated in the centre of the village, is a modern building of stone and rubble, in the Gothic style of the 15th century, from designs by Mr. George E. Halliday, diocesan surveyor, ... The reredos is of polished pink alabaster, and the pulpit and font of green Bridgend stone: the church affords about 400 sittings. The register dates from the year 1898. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £287, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff and the Board of Patronage ...
The church of St. Matthew, TREORCHY, erected in 1887, at a cost of £1800, is a small building of stone in the Early English style, ... : the church affords 280 sittings. The services are conducted in English. The living was constituted a vicarage in 1921, net yearly value £300, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff and the Board of Patronage, .... The church of St. Tyfodwg, Treorchy, is for Welsh services.
At Cwmparc are the collieries of the Ocean Coal Co. Limited, and at Treorchy the collieries of Messrs Burnyeat, Brown and Co. Limited. The Ocean Collieries, Park and Dare, Workmen's Institute here, opened in March, 1895, was erected by the workmen employed at Park and Dare pits (Ocean Collieries), at a cost of nearly £4000. The population of Cwmparc ecclesiastical parish in 1901 was 10,440, and in 1911, 15,265." [Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]
From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks
- A cemetery of 25 acres, between Trealaw and Porth, was formed in 1879 at a cost of £14,000, for Rhondda, Llanwonno and Llantrisant. A cemetery of 15 acres was formed in 1871 at a cost of £7000, at Treorchy, and was enlarged in 1914 by the addition of 15 acres, for the parish of Rhondda; and there is also a cemetery of 5 acres at Mardy, formed in 1875, at a cost of £3600; each contains two mortuary chapels, and since April 1st, 1896, have been under the control of the Rhondda Urban District Council Burial Committee of 13 members.
Hermon Chapel, Treorchy - on the People's Collection Wales site
The church is dedicated to St. Matthew, is in the Benefice of Treherbert with Treorchy, and the diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SS956970.
|Anglican Parish Registers|
|No Registers have been deposited yet|
|Non Conformist Registers Deposited at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff|
|Chapel||Baptisms||Marriages||Burials||OS Map Ref|
|Calfaria, Wesleyan||-||1932-1962, 1967, 1972-1973||-||SS 96109663|
Historic Landscape Characterisation: The Rhondda - on the CADW site.
Fully explore the site - there are separate detailed sections for places in the area
Treorchy - on Wikipedia
Treorchy - on the Rhondda Cynon Taf Libraries Heritage Trail site
Various landscapes - on the People's Collection Wales site
Transcript of complete name listing for Treherbert and Ystrad-Rhondda, with the parish and hamlets of Ystradyfodwg, Blaen-y-cwm, Blaen-y-Rhondda, Cwmdare, Cwmpark, Llwynpia, Pen-y-graig, Penyrenglyn, Pentre, Ton-pentre-ystrad, Ton-y-pandy, Treorky, Tynewydd and Tynybedw, from Slaters Directory for 1880.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Treorchy in the Parish of Ystradyfodwg to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Treorchy in the Parish of Ystradyfodwg has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site
A workmen's institute designed by Jacob Rees and erected in 1892, by the miners of Parc & Dare Collieries with a frontage to Station Street. In 1913 a large theatre was erected behing the 1892 building with a frontage to Dyfodwg Street. It is now a theatre owned by Rhondda Cynon Taff Council.
Treorchy High Street c1911
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS959968 (Lat/Lon: 51.66031, -3.506404), Treorchy in the Parish of Ystradyfodwg which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)