Llangelynin / Llangelynnin
"LLANGELYNIN, a parish in the hundred of Talybont, county Merioneth, 5 miles N.W. of Towyn, and 12 S.W. of Dolgelly. Barmouth is its post town. It is situated on the coast of Cardigan Bay, and includes the townships of Bodgadfan, Crogennant, Llanfeddiged, and the large village of Llwyngwril. It is said that Eduowain-ab-Bradwen, chief of one of the 15 tribes, had a seat here. The country in the vicinity is bleak and uninteresting. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor, value £400. The old parish church, dedicated to St. Celynin, but now deserted, stood on the coast-road to Towyn, about 2 miles S. of the present one, which has been built in the village of Llwyngwril. The charities, including an endowment to Morgan's school, produce about £20 per annum. A cave is shown in which it is said Owain Glyndwr secreted himself; and on the hill to the W. of the village is a camp called Castell-y-gaer." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Williams, Douglas. Church that still hangs over the sea - Llangelynin. Country Quest 32/3 (1991), p. 34-5
|St Catherine, Arthog|
|St Celynnin, Llangelynnin (Church in Wales)|
|St Celynnin, Llwyngwril (Church in Wales)|
|St Cynon, Fairbourne (Church in Wales)|
|St Mary, Rhoslefain (Church in Wales)|
|Horeb Independent Chapel, Arthog|
|Nazareth Chapel, Rhoslefain (Independent)|
|Peniel Chapel, Llwyngwril (Welsh Independent)|
|Peniel Independent Chapel, Islaw'R Dref|
|Caerdon Chapel, Arthog|
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Parish statistics; Area 11004 acres; Population 491 males, 472 females, total 963
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Llwyngwril, St Celynin Church
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The Llwyngwril section (in Welsh) has been extracted (with translation by Eleri Rowlands 8/2020) Also Horeb, Arthog chapel (with translation by Eleri Rowlands 8/2020)
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Merioneth Record Office.
Various landscapes/seascapes - on the People's Collection Wales site
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llangelynin / Llangelynnin to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Llangelynin / Llangelynnin has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- De Morella, Merionethshire, deeds 1706-1916 "Deeds and other documents, 1706-1916, relating to properties in the parishes of Llangelynin, Gwyddelwern, Dolgellau, Llanegryn and Llanenddwyn, Merionethshire; letters relating to the sale of the Llwyndu estate, 1834; map of Llwyngwril, Llangelynin, 1866."
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH615092 (Lat/Lon: 52.662993, -4.049449), Llangelynin / Llangelynnin which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Black and white photograph showing a plaque at Llangelynin National School, produced by Malcolm Seaborne, 1988. - on the People's Collection Wales site