"AMROATH (AMBROTH, or AMROTH), a parish, in the hundred and union of NARBERTH, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 7 miles (S.E.) from Narberth; contains 779 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the western shore of Carmarthen bay, abounds with coal of a peculiarly fine quality, which, burning without smoke or any offensive smell, is much in request for the drying of malt and hops; for this purpose, considerable quantities are shipped from a place called Wiseman's Bridge, in vessels of fifty or sixty tons' burthen, and sent to Bristol, and other places on the banks of the Severn. This part of the bay is celebrated for salmon, cod, and flat fish, which are taken in abundance, and of which considerable quantities are sent for the supply of the market at Tenby, five miles distant. . . The church dedicated to St. Elidyr, is an ancient structure, in the early style of English architecture, with a lofty embattled tower, and is well fitted up for the accommodation of the parishioners. A school, for the gratuitous instruction of an unlimited number of children of both sexes, is endowed with a bequest of the late D. Rees, Esq. . . A Sunday school, which was commenced in 1822, and is supported by subscription, is also attended by 75 children of both sexes, most of whom participate in the benefits of the day school. . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464344
- 1851 Census - 0104230
- 1861 Census - 0543242
- 1871 Census - 0850851
- 1881 Census - 1342302
- 1891 Census - 6099633
|St Elidyr, Amroth (Church in Wales)|
|Ebenezer Congregational Chapel, Amroth|
|Elim Independent Sunday School/Chapel, Stepaside, Amroth|
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Photographs under Amroth on the People's Collection Wales site for the following;
- Zoar Baptist Chapel interior
- Ebenezer Independent Chapel, Amroth
- Summer Hill Primitive Methodist Chapel, Amroth
- Elim Congregational Sunday School, Stepaside
- Stepaside Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
PR C (-1785) recorded in 1831 as having been destroyed.
Parish registers: Christenings (1786-1913), Marriages (1754-1970) and Burials (1786-1874) are at the Pembrokeshire Record Office.
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1835; 1837-51; 1853-89) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Howells, Roscoe. From Amroth to Utah. Gomer Press , April 27th 2001, 144 p,38 photographs. The reviewer says ; "Roscoe Howells is a consummate story teller..... He blows the dust off history and brings it engagingly to life......This new book is about Amroth and those of its people who journeyed and suffered agonisingly in nineteenth century America, the tale is beautifully told"
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Amroth to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Amroth has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Curtis, M. The antiquities of Laugharne, Pendine and their neighbourhoods: Carmarthenshire, Amroth, Saundersfoot, Cilgetty, Pembrokeshire, South Wales, Carmarthen, Dyfed County Council, Cultural Services Department (1991) viii, 339 p.: ill., geneal tables, port. ; 22 cm. p.
Howells, Roscoe. Amroth : a brief history. 2000
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Probyn deeds "Deeds, 1547-1788, relating mainly to the family of Howell of Eastlake, parish of Amroth, Pembrokeshire, 17 cent., and Lloyd of Clochfaen, Montgomeryshire, 18 cent"
Held at the NLW ;
- Deeds, 1547-1788, relating mainly to the family of Howell, parish of Amroth, co Pembroke, C17th, and Lloyd of Clochfaen, co Montgomery, C18th. The deeds purportedly derive from the muniments of the Probyn family.
Parish maps (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN161081 (Lat/Lon: 51.740925, -4.664726), Amroth which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Amroth parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
- Amroth (125); Amroth, Amroth Castle, Colby Lodge, Craig-y-borion, Cwmrath, Eastlake, Killanow, Merrixton, Pendeilo, Trelissey, Wiseman's Br.