"BURTON, a parish, in the hundred of RHOS, union and county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 3 miles (N.) from Pembroke, on the road from that town to Haverfordwest by Burton Ferry; containing 846 inhabitants. This parish is situated on Milford haven, and abounds with scenery in every part interesting and occasionally picturesque. Among the most interesting objects in the vicinity are the remains of Burton castle, on the western shore of the haven, probably erected by some of the Normans, as a border fortress for the protection of the territory which they had acquired on this part of the coast. It does not appear to have been originally of very great extent; and the present ruins, which, from their situation on the margin of an estuary of Milford haven, have a truly picturesque appearance, consist principally of a lofty round tower, which rising above the thriving plantations in the vicinity, forms a conspicuous feature in the landscape. . . A handsome and commodious parsonage-house was erected by the Rev. D. Bird Allen, the late incumbent. The church is a neat plain building, with a square tower at the west end. There are two places of worship for Baptists, and one for Wesleyan Methodists. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464345
- 1851 Census - 0104234
- 1861 Census - 0543243
- 1871 Census - 0850854
- 1881 Census - 1342304
- 1891 Census - 6099642
|St Mary, Burton (Church in Wales)|
|Burton Calvinistic Methodist Schoolroom (Chapel), Burton|
|Calvinist Chapel, Burton|
|Chapel, Hill (Hearson) Mountain (English Wesleyan Methodist) Burton|
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
- Burton Parish Church John Brigstock, Rector
- Galilee Baptist Erected in 1831 Henry Evans, Baptist Minister Neyland area, Hobbs Point, Pembroke
- Sardis Baptist Erected in 1822 "The congregation in this place is a very scattered one. The weather etc sometimes greatly affect the attendance" Henry James Morgan, Minister, Front St, Pembroke Dock
- Burton School Room CM Erected after 1800 John Davies, Minister, Mead Lodge, Pembroke
- Herson Mountain Methodist Erected in 1815 William Esmond, Deacon
Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
- Parish Church
- Incumbent and Curates; E L Jones
- Rural Deanery of Roose
- Acreage 3,470 ; Population 895
Parish registers: Christenings (1689-99, 1716-1922), Marriages (1689-99, 1716-1837), Banns (1823-1905) and Burials (1689-99, 1716-1895) are at the National Library of Wales with Mf copies at Pem.RO.
Copy ts PR[extracts] C (1689-1804) M (1695-1808) B (1695-1811) at NLW
Copy ts PR M (1754-1837) at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1807, 1809-67, 1869-73) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105130.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
The transcription of the section for Burton from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Burton to another place.
Phillips, Paul. Captain Hugh Leopold Phillips. Dyfed FHS journal vol 8/7 Dec 2004. The author writes about his uncle who was born in Burton in 1866 and served with the Trinity House Steam Vessel service.
You can see the administrative areas in which Burton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Dickman, H.J. Burton Parish, Pembrokeshire, Dyfed, Dyfed County Council, Cultural Services Dept. (1988) 53 p. : ill., 1 map, ports. [ISBN: 0860750310]
Hughes, Basil. Jottings Pembrokeshire Burton, Freystrop and Llangwn Parishes. [Kindle Edition 2013]
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Papers relating to the Estates of the Earl of Cawdor "Cawdor estate, manorial records of the Manor of Burton, 1840-1920;........................and Manor of Burton, chief rents, 1926-1936"
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM985072 (Lat/Lon: 51.72689, -4.9196), Burton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Burton parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
- Burton (107); Ashdale, Barnlake, Benton, Benton Castle, Benton Wood, Burton, Burton Cliff, Burton Mountain, Cudlic, Ferry Hill, Guilford, Hearson Camp, Hill Mountain, Houghton, Milton, Newton, Newton Mountain, Nolton Croft, Port Lion, Sardis, Thurston, Westfield Pill, Williamston, Williamston Mountain,