"KÎLGWYN (CÎL-GWYN) a chapelry in the parish of NEVERN, hundred of KEMMES, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 2 1/2miles (S.S.E.) from Newport. The population is returned with the parish. The chapel is dedicated to St. Mary. It is situated at the foot and near the south-eastern declivity of Carn Ingli mountain and common, on the former of which are some ancient carneddau." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Nevern with Cilgwyn and Bayvil from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1775-1811), Marriages (1754-1811, 1934-68) Banns (1823-1902), Burials (1775-1811) at NLW
Mf copies of Christenings and Burials (1775-1811) and Marriages (1759-82) at Pem.RO
BTs: see Nevern
Nonconformist chapels; see Nevern parish
The transcription of the section for Cilgwyn from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cilgwyn to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Cilgwyn has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Cilgwyn Estate records 1509-1968 - on the Archives and Manuscripts NLW site
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN076359 (Lat/Lon: 51.988142, -4.803457), Cilgwyn which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)