"CRONWERE (CRUNWEAR), a parish in the hundred of NARBERTH, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 6 miles (E.S.E.) from Narberth, containing 274 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the confines of the county, and at a short distance to the south of the turnpike road from Laugharne to Narberth. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St.David's, rated in the king's books at £6. 16. 10 1/2., and in the patronage of the King, as Prince of Wales. The church, dedicated to St. Elidyr, is appropriately fitted up for the performance of divine service, but not distinguished by any architectural features. An average annual expenditure amounting to £58. 6. is applied for the maintenance of the poor." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]



A variety of books published by the Llanteg History Society are available



The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

  • 1841 Census - 0464344
  • 1851 Census - 0104230
  • 1861 Census - 0543242
  • 1871 Census - 0850851
  • 1881 Census - 1342302
  • 1891 Census - 6099633

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Crunwear Parish Church "The congregation in the summer months is larger" Wm Phillips, Rector
  • Mountain Ind William Phillips, Elder, Amroth

Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

  • St Elidyr
  • Incumbent and Curates; R Jackett
  • Rural Deanery of Narberth
  • Acreage 1,703; Population 186

St Elidyr's Church

See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re St Elidyr's Church


    Church Records

    Llanteg History site - Crunwear gravestones for the church and two chapels - images available to view here

    Crunwear Wills Index by Owen Vaughan

    PR CB (1725-83) M (1725-53) recorded in 1831 apparently lost

    Parish registers: Christenings (1783-1979), Marriages (1754-1969), Burials (1783-1978) at Pem.RO with fac copies (1725-62) at NLW

    Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1839, 1841-91, 1893-1900) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105138.

    See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

    Nonconformist Chapels:


    Description & Travel

    You can see pictures of Crunwear which are provided by:



    The transcription of the section for Crunwear from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.



    Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

    • Hobbs family papers 1868-1960 "John and Caroline Hobbs were based in Pembrokeshire when Caroline was schoolmistress at Crunwear, Pembrokeshire in the late 19th century. Their children were ..................."


    Llanteg Now and Then & Llanteg Timeline & Llanteg Remembrance

    Catalogue of Newspaper Articles with reference to the surname ORIEL or the village of LLANTEG with brief descriptions. Taken from the NARBERTH Weekly News. Held in Tenby Library. This volume covers the period : 1923 - 1944. Transcribed by O. J. & C. A. Vaughan



    Llanteg Map

    Parish map (Kain/Oliver)

    You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN176104 (Lat/Lon: 51.762446, -4.644814), Crunwear which are provided by:


    Names, Geographical

    Places, villages, farms etc within Crunwear parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)

    • Crunwear (123); Crunwear, Garness, Llanteg, Llanteglos, Oaklands, Rigman's Hill, Three Wells, Tre-newydd.