Haroldston St Issells
"HARROLDSTON (ST. ISSELS), or EAST HARROLDSTON, a parish in the hundred of RHÔS, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 1 1/2mile (S.E. by S.) from Haverfordwest, containing 304 inhabitants. This parish, which is pleasantly situated on the bank of the western Cleddau, appears to have derived its name from Harold,the founder of an ancient family of distinction, that for several generations occupied an old seat here, which, by marriage with Alice, daughter and sole heiress of Sir Richard Harold, passed to the family of Perrot, ancestors of Sir John Perrot, Lord Deputy of Ireland in the reign of Elizabeth, and first high sheriffof this county, who was a native of this place: the ancient mansion is now in a very dilapidated condition. Fern Hill, the seat of Sir Henry Matthias, Knt., is pleasantly situated on the bank of the river Cleddau, and surrounded by thriving plantations. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, endowed with £800 royal bounty, and £400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of James Higgon, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Ishmael. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The hermitage of St. Caradoc, it is said, was in this parish; and on the common within the limits of which the Haverfordwest races are held is a well, still called St. Caradoc's Well, round which, till within the last few years, a pleasure fair, or festival, was annually held, for the celebration of rustic sports. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £50. 14." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464345
- 1851 Census - 0104236
- 1861 Census - 0543244
- 1871 Census - 0850856
- 1881 Census - 1342305
- 1891 Census - 6099646
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Freystrop with Haroldston St Issell from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
PR CMB (1765-[1812?]) recorded in 1933 apparently lost
Parish registers: Christenings (1813-1990), Marriages (1814-1969), Burials (1813-98) at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1798-1802, 1807, 1809-57, 1859-70) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105142
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
The transcription of the section for Haroldston St Issels from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Haroldston St Issells to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Haroldston St Issells has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Brown, J., Phillips, J.W., and Warren. F.J. The history of Haverfordwest with that of some Pembrokeshire parishes, Haverfordwest, L. Brigstocke (1914) pp.170-176.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Jenkins family, of Merlin's Bridge, papers 1764-1974 "The Jenkins family owned property in around Merlin's Bridge, Pembrokeshire, as well as Northumberland Farm, Wiston, Pembrokeshire. S. Jenkins and Sons were general smiths, engineers and hauling and threshing machine makers. The family also owned Millbrook Granite Quarry, at Treffgarne, Pembrokeshire, and the Merlin's Bridge Sanitary Steam Laundry Co. Ltd. ...................."
Turvey, Roger. Under the Hammer:Selling Haroldston, the sale of the mansion house and estate, 1857 (NLW's site) Pemb Historian XIV
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM958138 (Lat/Lon: 51.78531, -4.961528), Haroldston St Issells which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Haroldston St Issels parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
- Haroldston St Issels (89); Avallenau, Black Hill, Derby, Fern Hill, Haroldstone (Ancient monument), Haroldstone St Issels, Haylet, Merlin's Bridge,Woodbine