"HODGESTON, a parish in the hundred of CASTLE-MARTIN, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 3 miles (E.S.E.) from Pembroke, on the road to Tenby, containing 72 inhabitants. This parish is by some writers supposed to have been the site of an ancient religious establishment, of the existence of which, however, there are not the slightest traces, nor has it even a traditionary history. The supposition rests chiefly, if not entirely, upon the evidence of an ancient deed still extant, in which John Stackpool styles himself "Capel-anus," and dates it from "Oggeston;" but there is every probability that the writer was chaplain of the Episcopal palace at Lamphey, about half a mile distant, and held the rectory of this parish at the same time. The church is a neat edifice, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St.David's, rated in the king's books at £7. 13. 4., and in the patronage of Sir John Owen Bart., for two turns, and Pryse Pryse, Esq., for one. The church is a neat edifice, in the early style of English architecture, with a lofty square embattled tower. Dr. Thomas Young, formerly Bishop of St. David's, and afterwards Archbishop of York, was a native of this parish. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to £57.14." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464342
- 1851 Census - 0104233
- 1861 Census - 0543242
- 1871 Census - 0850852
- 1881 Census - 1342303
- 1891 Census - 6099637
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Lamphey and Hodgeston from the Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Hodgeston Church - on the Friends of Friendless Churches site
Hodgeston Church on the People's Collection Wales site
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph
Parish registers: Christenings (1766-1812), Marriages (1755-1801, 1814-1961) Banns (1755-1848), Burials (1766-1812) at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR/BT M pre 1813 with index at Pem.RO and NLW
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1686, 1799-1807, 1809-67, 1869-79, 1889-93, 1895) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105145.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Nonconformist Chapels: None found
The transcription of the section for Hodgeston from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hodgeston to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Hodgeston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS033996 (Lat/Lon: 51.660441, -4.844713), Hodgeston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Hodgeston parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
- Hodgeston (143); Hodgeston, Hodgeston Hill, Jason Hall