Little Newcastle


"NEWCASTLE (LITTLE), a parish in the hundred of KEMMES, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 8 1/2 miles (N. by E.) from Haverfordwest, containing 330 inhabitants. This place derives its name from an ancient mound near the church, called "the castle," and its distinguishing epithet from the inferiority of this fortification to a much older and more extensive work of the same kind, at a short distance from the village. The parish comprises a moderate tract of land, of which by far the greater part is enclosed and cultivated, the remainder being stony, barren, and unfit for tillage, especially the northern portion of it, which is hilly. Fairs are annually held in the village on May 6th and July 10th. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St.David's, endowed with £800 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Thomas Williams, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. In this parish was "Martel," the ancient seat of the family of Symmons before their removal to Llanstinan, of which nothing now remains but the site. Near the village is a spring, called Golden Well, which ebbs and flows regularly with the tide in St. George's channel, from which it is nine miles distant: the water is said to be efficacious in coughs, and in diseases of the eye. The poor are supported by an average annual expenditure amounting to £93. 15." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]



The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

  • 1841 Census - 0464343
  • 1851 Census - 0104238
  • 1861 Census - 0543245
  • 1871 Census - 0850858
  • 1881 Census - 1342306
  • 1891 Census - 6099651

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Little Newcastle Parish Church "Little Newcastle is now consolidated with the adjoining Parish of St Dogwells....." Peter David Richardson, Perpetual Curate

Parish entry for Puncheston with Little Newcastle from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

  • St Mary & St Peter (Little Newcastle)
  • Incumbent and Curates; D Morgan
  • Rural Deanery of Fishguard
  • Acreage 1,788 & 2,758; Population 325

     Beulah Baptist Chapel, Little Newcastle on the People's Collection Wales site

    Davies, Richard. Nineteenth-century church reconstruction : Little Newcastle Church and the Rev. Peter Davies Richardson . (NLW's site) Journal of the Pembrokeshire Historical Society 6 (1994-95), p. 79-90

    Eglwys Sant Pedr : Casnewydd Bach = St. Peter's Church : Little Newcastle.Little Newcastle : St Peter's Church, 1998. 1 folded sheet


    Church Records

    Civil register (1654-8) at Cardiff Central Library with Mf copy at NLW

    Parish registers: Christenings (1783-1813), Marriages (1813-1966), Burials (1783-1813) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO

    Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1679-80, 1685, 1799, 1801, 1803, 1805-9, 1811-79, 1885) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105149.

    See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

    Nonconformist Chapels:

    • Beulah [ Baptists, 1808]. Records ; See Llangloffan/Granston parish SM98082845 Built 1808, rebuilt 1874 & 1887, restored 1910 Still open 1998 Coflein On Dyfed FHS

    Description & Travel

    You can see pictures of Little Newcastle which are provided by:



    The transcription of the section for Little Newcastle from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.



    There are historical snippets about this parish on Not everyone knows this..

    Books marked * have an entry on the separate 'Review/Contents' page.

    *Davies, Richard. St Peter's Church, Little Newcastle A Directory of the churchyard. 2000. Of the 700 recorded burials since 1783 in the churchyard, about 250 are remembered on 126 gravestones. This study attempts to record each grave and the family relationship of the persons buried there; there is no attempt to provide detailed genealogical family information or to present material in chronological order.


    Land & Property

    Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

    • T. I. Ellis Collection of Davies family Deeds and Documents "Documents, including wills, letters and other papers, relating to the Davies families of Aberystwyth, Carnachen-wen, and Cwrtmawr, 1818-1885, and the family of Rev. Peter Williams, 1777-1860; deeds of the same families, relating mainly to properties in.......................Little Newcastle, ........ Pembrokeshire, .........1582-1920 (mainly 1773-1920), and in particular to Coldstone, Little Newcastle, Pembrokeshire, 1773-1916."


    Parish map (Kain/Oliver)

    You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM983296 (Lat/Lon: 51.928066, -4.935136), Little Newcastle which are provided by:


    Names, Geographical

    Places, villages, farms etc within Little Newcastle parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Peter D Hall)

    • Little Newcastle [38]; Carn cwcw, Carn deifog Moor, Carne Turne Rocks, Colstan, Ffynnondu, Little Newcastle, Martel Bridge, Pentre, Summerton, Ty-grug-fawr, Ty-newydd


     Little Newcastle School, Puncheston(?) on the People's Collection Wales site