"MATHREY (MERTHYR), a parish in the hundred of DEWISLAND, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 8 miles (S.W. by W.) from Fishguard, containing 860 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated in the north-western part of the county, is bounded on the north by St. George's channel, and is intersected by the turnpike road leading from Fishguard to St. David's. In the northern part of the parish, bordering on the coast . . . are some considerable slate quarries, affording employment to a portion of the inhabitants. The village, which is situated on the summit of a hill, was formerly a place of more importance than at present, and had a weekly market and an annual fair, granted by letters patent in the reign of Edward III. . . The church, dedicated to the Holy Martyrs, and situated in the middle of the village, is an ancient structure not distinguished by any architectural details of importance. The sum of £10 per annum is paid by Sir John Owen, Bart., towards the support of a school in this parish, for the gratuitous instruction of poor children. . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
MIs by Dyfed Family History Society for Mathry, Rehobeth Independent Chapel
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464342
- 1851 Census - 0104237
- 1861 Census - 0543245
- 1871 Census - 0850857
- 1881 Census - 1342306
- 1891 Census - 6099648
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Mathry with St Edren's from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Church/chapel photographs on the People's Collection Wales site
- Church, Mathri
- NEBO BAPTIST SUNDAY SCHOOL, MATHRY;MATHRI
- REHOBOTH CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL, REHOBOTH
- TREFIN CHAPEL, FFORDD-YR-AFON, MATHRY (Trevine Calvinistic Methodist Chapel. Mathry)
Eglwys Mathri = Mathry Church. [Abergwaun?] : [Menter Preseli?], [1996?] 1 sheet .This project was initiated by local communities in North Pembrokeshire and co-ordinated by Menter Preseli.
Parish register: Christenings (1729-30, 1736-42, 1745-1992), Marriages (1729-30, 1735-41, 1745-54, 1776-1969) Banns (1778-86, 1791-1816, 1824-45, 1895-1916), Burials (1729-30, 1735-42, 1745-1940) at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR C (1729-1810, extracts to 1904) M (1729-54, extracts 1814-35) B (1729-1810, extracts to 1873) at NLW
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1853, 1855-62, 1864-9, 1875-6) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105189.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Various landscape photographs of area and surrounds on the People's Collection Wales site
Cave, R. The Mathry Dyke, a quartz-dolerite intrusion of probable Carboniferous age in south west Wales Geological Magazine 126 (1989), p. 715-21
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Mathry to another place.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Harries family, of Priskilly, Heathfield and Tregwynt, papers 1722 - 1920 "John Hill Harries held an estate at Priskelly, Mathry, Pembrokeshire, in 1815. .......... "
You can see the administrative areas in which Mathry has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM882314 (Lat/Lon: 51.940471, -5.082936), Mathry which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Mathry parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Peter D Hall)
- Mathry ; Aber-castle, Aber Yw, Bryn Cleddau, Carnachen wen, Castell-cenlas, Castell Coch, Castle Morris, Dyffryn dwarch, Garn-isaf, Gilfach, Lochturffin, Long Ho, Llambed, Llambed Hill, Llwyn-y-gorras, Mabws, Mathry, Morfa, Mynydd Morfa, Park-y-nole, Parke, Pen-Lan, Pen Morfa, Pen-y-bank, Pen-y-cnwe, Pen-y-feidr, Porth Glasdwr, Priskilly, Priskilly Forest, Pwll Strodyr, Rehoboth, Rhos lanog, Tre gidreg, Tre felyn, Tre saer, Trwyn Llwnog, Ty-newydd-grug, Western Cleddau, Y Garn, Y Graig, Ynys Daullyn
- Detached part (unnumbered); Llannoy; Mesur y Dorth; Pen ysgwarn;