"NASH, a parish partly in the hundred of CASTLEMARTIN, and partly in that of NARBERTH, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 2 miles (N.E.) from Pembroke, containing 133 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated in the southern part of the county, and near a small inlet from Milford Haven, comprises but a moderate portion of land, which is enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The surrounding scenery, though not distinguished by any striking peculiarity of feature, is generally pleasing; and the adjacent country affords some interesting objects, and some views which are not destitute of beauty. The great turnpike road leading from Narberth to Pembroke passes through the southern part of the parish. The living is a rectory, with Upton annexed, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St.David's, rated in the king's books at £6. 12. 8 1/2., and in the patronage of the Rev. William Evans. The church is a very ancient structure, remarkable for the rude simplicity of its architecture, and is said to have been erected by one of the earliest Norman proprietors of Upton castle. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £20. 2." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]





The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

  • 1841 Census - 0464342
  • 1851 Census - 0104233
  • 1861 Census - 0543242
  • 1871 Census - 0850853
  • 1881 Census - 1342303
  • 1891 Census - 6099638

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Nash Parish Church W P Evans, Rector

Parish entry for Pembroke Dock and Nash with Upton from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

  • St John B (Acreage 1,096; Population 10,653)& St Patrick & St Teilo & St Mary (Nash) (Acreage 598; Population 100) & Upton Chapel (disused) (Acreage 333)
  • Incumbent and Curates; J J Davies (E Jenkyns; R H Davies; E L Saunders)
  • Rural Deanery of Castlemartin

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of St Mary's Church, Nash

Nash Church - August 1932 on the People's Collection Wales site


    Church Records

    Parish registers: Christenings (1742-1959), Marriages (1744-1969) Banns (1812,1826), Burials (1742-1976) at Pem.RO

    Copy ts BT (1800-26) at Pem.RO

    Copy ts PR/BT M pre 1813 with index, at NLW and Pem.RO

    Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1696, 1800-7, 1809-11, 1813-80, 1882-1903) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105192.

    See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

    Nonconformist Chapels: None found


    Description & Travel

    You can see pictures of Nash which are provided by:



    The transcription of the section for Nash from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.



    There are historical snippets about this parish on Not everyone knows this..

    Hughes, Basil Jottings on the History of Pembrokeshire Cosheston, Upton, Nash [Kindle Edition 2013]



    Parish map (Kain/Oliver)

    You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN016025 (Lat/Lon: 51.686471, -4.872007), Nash which are provided by:


    Names, Geographical

    Places, villages, farms etc within Nash parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)

    • Nash (147); Lower Nash, Nash, Strawberry Hill, Winter Hall.