"PRENDERGAST, a parish in the hundred of DUNGLEDDY, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, adjoining to and comprising part of the borough of Haverfordwest, and containing 1105 inhabitants. . . The parish is situated between the rivers Hiog and Cleddy, and, near its south-western extremity, is connected with the town of Haverfordwest by a bridge across the latter, from which the village extends chiefly along the road to Cardigan, with a branch street southward; the whole forming an extensive and important suburb of Haverfordwest. A small tract at this angle of the parish, comprising a part of the village lying nearest to the town, is included within the ancient limits of the town and county of the town of Haverfordwest . . . The church, dedicated to St. David, is an ancient and venerable structure, in the early style of English architecture, and in good repair. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists. . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464343/45
- 1851 Census - 0104236
- 1861 Census - 0543244
- 1871 Census - 0850856
- 1881 Census - 1342305
- 1891 Census - 6099647
|Hill Park Baptist Chapel, Prendergast (Haverfordwest)|
|Hill Park Chapel, Prendergast (Haverfordwest ) (Baptist)|
|Prendergast Baptist Chapel, Prendergast, (Haverfordwest)|
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1696-1966), Marriages (1696-1985) Banns (1825-49, 1937-72), Burials (1696-1977) at NLW with Mf/fac copies at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR C (1702-90) incomplete at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1777, 1801-13, 1815-61, 1865-73) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105201.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Prendergast to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Prendergast has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Cilymaenllwyd estate, records 1541-[c. 1864] "The Stepney family was established at Prendergast, Pembrokeshire, from early in the second half of the sixteenth century until at least 1670. However, the house was in ruins by 1767, as the family had moved to Llanelli House, Carmarthenshire.................."
- Eaton Evans & Williams (Solicitors) Records "Including ..... manorial records of the manors of Manorbier, Penely and Prendergast 1618-1850........."
- Massy, H. R. S., Brigadier, papers relating to Rudbaxton and Prendergast 1805-1909 "Brigadier Hugh Royds Stokes Massy (1884-1965) of Cottesmore and Mount Pleasant, Prendergast, Pembrokeshire, accumulated records relating to properties in Pembrokeshire, including The Cotts, a mansion in Prendergast, Pembrokeshire, which had been owned by Louis Devandes in the early 19th century, and the Peel family from 1814................."
Held at the NLW ;
- Estate records, 1541-c1864, and correspondence, C18, deposited by Lady Howard Stepney of Cilymaenllwyd relating mainly to the family of Stepney of Prendergast and Llanelli and estates in Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire.
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM954173 (Lat/Lon: 51.817182, -4.969854), Prendergast which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Prendergast parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
- Prendergast (85); Cottesmore, Glanafan, Park Ho.,Scotchwell, Springfield, Tangiers.