"RUDBAXTON, a parish in the hundred of DUNGLEDDY, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 4 miles (N.) from Haverfordwest, containing 621 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the turnpike road leading from Haverfordwest to Fishguard, is intersected by a stream which flows into the Western Cleddy, and is wholly enclosed and under cultivation. Its surface is enlivened by two gentlemen's seats of cheerful aspect, viz., Wythy Bush, the seat of the Rev. Thomas Martin, a good family mansion pleasantly situated; and Poyston, also the property of that gentleman. The petty sessions for the hundred were formerly held at this place, prior to their removal to Haverfordwest. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £15. 4. 2., and in the patronage of the King, as Prince of Wales. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is not remarkable for any striking architectural details: opposite to the entrance of the churchyard is one of those large mounds so frequently found in this part of the principality, but of which the use has not been clearly ascertained. There were formerly two chapels of ease, one dedicated to St. Margaret. and the other to St. Catherine, but both are now in ruins. There is a place of worship for Baptists. Thomas Howard, by deed, gave a rent-charge of £2, which is annually paid by the corporation of Haverfordwest to poor housekeepers of this parish not receiving parochial relief. About three miles to the north-east of Haverfordwest, within the limits of this parish, there is a hill on which is an encampment, called by the country people "the Rhâth". Lieutenant-General Sir Thomas Picton, G.C.B., who fell in the battle of Waterloo, was born at Poyston. The poor are maintained by an average annual expenditure amounting to £245. 13." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]



The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

  • 1841 Census - 0464343
  • 1851 Census - 0104236
  • 1861 Census - 0543244
  • 1871 Census - 0850856
  • 1881 Census - 1342305
  • 1891 Census - 6099647

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Rudbaxton Parish Church Restored from a state of ruin by the Present Rector, who was appointed by the Lord Chancellor in Nov 1844. Parsonage and school built since "The 2 Congregations do not consist of the same individuals, the Church being 2 miles from the bulk of the population. The only church way being a very narrow long lane nearly impassable the greater part of the year" William Meyler, Rector [He is referring to the morning and afternoon congregations]
  • Bethlehem Particular Baptist Erected in 1819 John Lewis of Ambleston, Deacon and Elder
  • Crundale Ind Henry Mathias, Minister, Wolfsdale

Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

  • St Michael
  • Incumbent and Curates; A J Phillips
  • Rural Deanery of Dungleddy
  • Acreage 4,255 ; Population 421

Crundale Congregational Chapel on the People's Collection Wales site


    Church Records

    Parish registers: Christenings (1735-1950), Marriages (1736-1970) Banns (1755-1836), Burials (1735-1992) at Pem.RO

    Copy ts PR [extracts] CMB (1735-1810) at NLW

    Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1807, 1809-50, 1852-86) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105204.

    See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

    Held at Pembrokeshire Archives;

    • Crundale United Reform Church, list of members (1906-1946) and other papers


    Nonconformist Chapels:

    • Bethlehem, in Newton Pants [Baptists, 1820] Rawlins shows cause starting in 1818, 100 members in 1840 Modern map shows a chapel near Newton SM989210 Not found on Coflein or Dyfed FHS sites
    • Quakers' Park Field, Rudbaxton SM967217 Coflein

    Description & Travel

    Various landscape photographs of the area and surrounds on the People's Collection Wales site

    You can see pictures of Rudbaxton which are provided by:



    The transcription of the section for Rudbaxton from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.



    Pembrokeshire Families

    Held at the NLW ;

    • Records [deposited by Mrs J Roddick] of the Phillips family of Kilbarth, parish of Rudbaxton, co Pembroke, 1650-1892, and papers of John William Phillips, senior[1824-88] and junior [1864-1934], solicitors, Haverfordwest. Include antiquarian papers of Pembrokeshire interest, C19th-C20th, and other records relating to the Haverfordwest area, 1575-1913.

    Land & Property

    Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

    • Massy, H. R. S., Brigadier, papers relating to Rudbaxton and Prendergast "Records collected by Brigadier H. R. S. Massy, 1805-1909, mainly relating to land in the Pembrokeshire parishes of Rudbaxton 1805-1845, and Prendergast, 1847-1873."


    Parish map (Kain/Oliver)

    You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM972198 (Lat/Lon: 51.840067, -4.945822), Rudbaxton which are provided by:


    Names, Geographical

    Places, villages, farms etc within Rudbaxton parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)

    • Rudbaxton (76); Cartlett Brook, Crundale, Crundale Ho., Flether Hill (Antiquity), Greenwell, Kilbarth, Leech Pool, Lower Haythog, Newton, Poyston, Poyston Cross, Ram Wood, Rath, Rudbaxton, Rudbaxton Water, Withybush, Withy Hedge.