"NICHOLAS' (ST.), a parish in the hundred of DEWISLAND, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 5 miles (W. by S.) from Fishguard, containing 315 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated in the north-western part of the county, and at no great distance from St. George's channel, comprises a moderate portion of good arable and pasture land, which is enclosed and in a good state of cultivation: from the high grounds in the north and south parts of it some fine views are obtained of St. George's channel. It constitutes the only prebend, in the cathedral church of St.David's, to which a residence in that city is attached, and is usually called St. Nicholas Pen y Voes: the prebend is valued in the king's books at £5. 4. 6 1/2., and is in the patronage of the Bishop. The living is a discharged vicarage, annexed, with that of Granston, to the vicarage of Mathrey, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's: the great tithes of the parish are held on lease by George Rock, Esq., of Butter Hill. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is not remarkable for any architectural details. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians. In the fence of the churchyard is a stone, about a yard and a half in length, and three-quarters of a yard in breadth, with the inscription TVNCCFTACCVXSORDAAR ! ! HICIA CIT+. At no great distance from the church, just above the village of Trellys, are the remains of an ancient cromlech, the table stone of which rests only upon two supporters. The poor are maintained by an average annual expenditure amounting to £95. 3." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464342
- 1851 Census - 0104238
- 1861 Census - 0543245
- 1871 Census - 0850858
- 1881 Census - 1342306
- 1891 Census - 6099651
|Rhosycaerau (Welsh Independent) Chapel, Rhosycaerau, St Nicholas|
|Chapel, St Nicholas|
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Grandston and St Nicholas from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Eglwys Sant Niclas = St Nicholas Church. [Abergwaun?] : [Menter Preseli?], [1996?] 1 sheet : ill ; 30x21cm. This project was initiated by local communities in North Pembrokeshire and co-ordinated by Menter Preseli.
PR (1758-) in poor condition in 1933 apparently lost. CB (1793-1803) entered in PR Granston. Diocesan records suggest that c1790 the registers went back to 1727.
Parish registers: Christenings (1793-1803, 1806-1993), Marriages (1779-1971) Banns (1780-1817, 1907), Burials (1793-1803, 1806-1992) at Pem.RO
Copy ms/ts PR C (1783-1874) M (1782-1899) B (1783-1898) at NLW
Copy ts PR [extracts] C (1810-74) M (1782-1899) B (1799-1898) at Pem.RO
Bishops Transcripts for this parish , included in Granston's, have the LDS Call Number: 0105141.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
The transcription of the section for St Nicholas from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Nicholas to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which St Nicholas has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Ffynondrudion, St Nicholas, Llethr, Brawdy and Cruglas, St David's, Records "Records relating mainly to three Pembrokeshire farms, 1765-1927, consisting of Ffynondrudion, St Nicholas, 1765-1927; Llethr, Brawdy 1787-1906; and Cruglas, St Davids, 1843-1913.............."
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM910361 (Lat/Lon: 51.98366, -5.044527), St Nicholas which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within St Nicholas parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Peter D Hall)
- St Nicholas ; Carn Segan, Ffynnon-Druidion, Llan-druidion, Maildy, Rhos-y-caerau, St Nicholas, St Nicholas Cross, Trefayog, Trefelgarn, Tregyddulan, Tre-llys-y-cnwe, Tre-llys-y-coed