Hide

St Petrox

hide
Hide

"PETROX (ST.), a parish in the hundred of CASTLEMARTIN, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 3 miles (S.W.) from Pembroke, containing 77 inhabitants. This parish, which is also called Llan Pedrog, derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Pedrog, a British saint, who flourished about the commencement of the seventh century. It comprises but a very moderate tract of arable and pasture land, and is chiefly distinguished for the salubrity of the air, and the longevity of its inhabitants: the surface is pleasingly varied, and the soil fertile. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St.David's, rated in the king's books at £7. 3. 9., and in the patronage of Earl Cawdor. The church, dedicated to St. Pedrog, is a neat edifice, with a handsome square tower, and is situated on an eminence commanding a pleasing view over the adjacent country. Attached to the living is a comfortable glebe-house, pleasantly situated and in good repair, with a moderate portion of land. The poor children of this parish have the privilege of gratuitous instruction in the parochial school at Cheriton. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £58. 15." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

topup

Census

The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

  • 1841 Census - 0464342
  • 1851 Census - 0104234
  • 1861 Census - 0543243
  • 1871 Census - 0850854
  • 1881 Census - 1342304
  • 1891 Census - 6099641
topup

Churches

topup

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • St Petrox Parish Church F G Leach, Rector

Parish entry for St Petrox with Stackpole Elidor (otherwise Cheriton) from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

  • St Pedrog & SS James and Elidyr (Stackpole Elidor)
  • Incumbent and Curates; E T Roderick
  • Rural Deanery of Castlemartin
  • Acreage 1,000 & 2,988 ; Population 318 (St Pedrog)

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph

topup

Church Records

Parish registers: Christenings (1640-1989), Marriages (1640-1836, 1840-1963), Burials (1640-1987) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO

Copy ts PR CMB (1640-1991) arranged alphabetically at NLW and Pem.RO

Copy ts PR M pre 1813 with index at NLW and Pem.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1685, 1799-1802, 1804-7, 1809, 1811-19, 1821-59, 1861-96) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105208.

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.

Nonconformist Chapels: None found

topup

Description & Travel

You can see pictures of St Petrox which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for St Petrox from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which St Petrox has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

Parish map (Kain/Oliver)

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SR968962 (Lat/Lon: 51.627952, -4.93741), St Petrox which are provided by:

topup

Names, Geographical

Places, villages, farms etc within St Petrox parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by John Richards)

  • St Petrox (159); Fish Ponds, St Petrox, Sampson