"TELBENNY, a parish in the hundred of RHÔS, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 6 miles (W.S.W.) from Haverfordwest, containing 222 inhabitants. It is situated on the south side of St. Bride's bay, on a ridge overlooking which the village is chiefly built. Goldtop Road, off the coast of this parish, forming the south-westernmost recess of the bay, and affording safe anchorage for vessels during gales from certain quarters, might, according to Mr. Morris' account, in his survey of the Welsh coast, be made a very safe roadstead, in three or four fathoms water, by the construction of a pier on Burrow Head, in the erection of which the beach might be cleared of the large stones which now encumber it. This improvement of the haven, it is thought, would make it a place of great trade, as there are several mines of stone coal in the neighbourhood. At the western extremity of the parish is the small inlet of Mill Haven, and at the eastern that of Little Haven. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St.David's, rated in the king's books at £9. 12. 6., and in the patronage of Sir John Owen, Bart. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is situated near the coast, below the village. The average annual expenditure for the relief of the poor is £99. 14." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]



The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

  • 1841 Census - 0464345
  • 1851 Census - 0104233
  • 1861 Census - 0543243
  • 1871 Census - 0850855
  • 1881 Census - 1342304
  • 1891 Census - 6099644

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Talbenny Parish Church William Roch, Curate, Little Haven, Haverfordwest
  • Hall, Talbenny WM Erected in 1830 John Wathen, Class Leader and Local Preacher, Middle Hall, Haverfordwest
  • Tabernacle, village of Little Haven Independents or Congregationalists Erected about 1812, rebuilt in 1842 "For some time past we have had no Sunday School in this place there being a large School both day and Sunday with the Established Church and the attendants of the day free school are required to attend Sunday School" Theophilus James, Minister, St Ishmaels

Parish entry for Walton West with Talbenny from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

  • All Saints & St Mary (Talbenny)
  • Incumbent and Curates; C Paley
  • Rural Deanery of Roose
  • Acreage 1,333 & 1,517; Population 604

    Church Records

    Parish registers: Christenings (1764-1990), Marriages (1764-1958) Banns (1791-1833, 1905-43), Burials (1764-1991) at Pem.RO

    Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1807, 1809-10, 1812-58, 1865, 1874) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105211.

    See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

    Nonconformist Chapels:

    • Tabernacle, St Bride's Rd, Little Haven [Independents, c 1812]. Records ; See Rhosycaerau, Bethel and Keystone SM85651278 Built 1812, rebuilt 1842, demolished 1992. Coflein [Although Little Haven is mostly in Walton West parish, this chapel is just within Talbenny parish, where Rawlins lists it]
      Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Maureen Saycell (April 2008)
      • Hall Chapel, in Middle Hall [Wesleyan Methodists, 1830]. Records ; Haverfordwest and Milford Haven Circuits; baptismal registers, 1842-1934, circuit schedule and plans, quarterly minutes, accounts 1889-1980 at Pem RO [DFC/M/9]. No entry found on Coflein or Dyfed FHS sites

      Description & Travel

      Talbenny Aerodrome photograph - on the People's Collection Wales site

      You can see pictures of Talbenny which are provided by:



      The transcription of the section for Talbenny from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.



      Parish map (Kain/Oliver)

      You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM836116 (Lat/Lon: 51.760746, -5.13731), Talbenny which are provided by:


      Names, Geographical

      Places, villages, farms etc within Talbenny parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Rosemary St.Leger-May)