Pencraig / Old Radnor
"RADNOR (OLD), or MAES-YVED-HEN, a parish, comprising the townships of Ednol, Evenjobb with Bareland, Harpton, Kinnarton with Badland, Old Radnor, and Walton, each supporting its own poor, in the liberties of the borough of NEW RADNOR, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 2 1/2 miles (E. S. E.) from New Radnor, containing 1458 inhabitants. This place by the Welsh is also called Pen y Graig, which name it derives from the situation of its church on the summit of a rock............The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £ 35. 1. 0 1/2., and in the possession of the Dean and, Chapter of Worcester, by whom a stipendiary curate is appointed and paid, and is further supported by the interest of £ 800 parliamentary grant. The church, dedicated to St. Stephen,.............. At Ednol and Kinnarton are chapels of ease to the mother church. There is a place of worship for Independents. ................The poor are maintained by an average annual expenditure amounting to £729. 17. for the entire parish, of which sum, £ 170. 10. is assessed on the township of Old Radnor. " ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis, 1833)
A short history of Old Radnor Parish Church. Hereford : Adams & Sons (Printers), [19--] 8p
Fenn, Roy W D. Old Radnor parish church. Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 58 1988 Welsh Journals Online
Howse, William H. The Church and parish of Old Radnor. Halesowen : H. Parkes, 1958.
Howse, William H. Radnor old and new. Kington : Mid-Border Books, 1989. 54p. Originally published: Hereford: Jakemans, 1944.
Phillips, W S Lower House, and Cottage Farm; a study of two timber framed houses in the parish of Evenjobb Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 37 1967 Welsh Journals Online
Sutton, Frederick H. Church organs : their position and construction, with an appendix containing some account of the mediaeval organ case still existing at Old Radnor, South Wales. Oxford : Positif Press, 1998. 48p. Facsim. of 3rd ed. published: London : Rivingtons, 1883.
Sykes, Marjorie. A border church in the Anglo-Welsh tradition : [St. Stephen's, Old Radnor]. Country Quest 30/4 (1989), p. 8-9
The organ case of Old Radnor Church Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 22 1952 Welsh Journals Online
|St Stephen, Old Radnor|
|Gore Independent Chapel, Old Radnor|
|Old Gore Independent Chapel (Sunday School), Gore|
|Methodist Chapel, Old Radnor|
|Strinds Methodist Meeting, Old Radnor|
|Weslayan Methodist Chapel, Kinnerton|
|Yardro/Yardis English Presbyterian And Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Yardro|
|Summerhouse Meeting House / Religious Society Of Friends, Walton|
|Ednol Church, Old Radnor|
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Old Radnor Parish consisting of the Townships of Old Radnor and Burlingjobb; Walton and Womaston; Evenjobb, Newcastle, Barland and Burfa; Kinnerton, Salford and Badland; Ednol; and pt of Upper Harpton (the remainder of Harpton being in co, Hereford; Statistics; Area 10069 acres; Population 668 males, 595 females, total 1263
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Old Radnor St Stephen
See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re St Mary's Church, Kinnerton
Church of St Stephen, (St Ystyffan), Old Radnor on the Radnorshire Churches Survey site
Old Radnor Parish Church on the Castle Wales site
Old Radnor Church - on the Modern Antiquarian site
Old Radnor church in 1828 on the People's Collection Wales site
Medieval font at St Stephen's Church, Old Radnor - on the People's Collection Wales site
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Gore chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation
This parish included the township of Lower Harpton, Herefordshire
Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Radnorshire parish registers
As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;
- Baptisms 1682-1864; Marriages 1682-1961; Burials 1682-1945 ; Banns 1824-1937
Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the Hereford Archives, NLW and/or Powys Archives.
Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the Hereford Archives and/or Powys Archives
Evancoyd- A parish formed out of Pencraig/Old Radnor in 1866, extant records are;
- Baptisms 1867-1992; Marriages 1872-1971; Burials 1871-1991; Banns 1872-1991(NLW and/or Powys Archives)
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Harpton Court Estate Records Include " ..................deeds concerning the rectory and tithes of Old Radnor, 1607-1876............"
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Pencraig / Old Radnor to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Pencraig / Old Radnor has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Duggan Deeds 1631-1970 "The Taylor and Duggan families owned lands in Evenjobb in the parishes of Old Radnor and Presteigne, Radnorshire........"
- Hanter estate, deeds 1714-1822 "Twenty-four deeds and documents, 1714-1822, concerning the Hanter estate, Radnorshire, relating to lands in Burlingjobb, parish of Old Radnor"
- Lloyd, E. A., collection "Deeds and documents, 1593-1848, relating to properties in Womaston (Old Radnor), Evenjobb, Llansaintfraed in Elvel, Llandrindod, Cascob, Ednall, Llanvareth, and Presteigne, Radnorshire"
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
Family Search have an interactive map called "England and Wales Jurisdictions 1851" showing parish (and other) boundaries with optional background maps such as Ordnance Survey. There is also a Search facility, do read the guidance notes to get maximum benefit from this useful resource. See here for further background information to assist in the interpretation of this data
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO250615 (Lat/Lon: 52.246358, -3.099646), Pencraig / Old Radnor which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)