|Yorkshire||West RidingYorkshire||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BURNSALL, a parish-town, in the east-division of Staincliffe, liberty of Clifford's-Fee; 9 miles from Pateley Bridge, 9½ miles N. of Skipton and 9 from Kettlewell, 43 from York. Pop. including Thorpe, 329. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Wilfrid (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of Craven, value in two medieties, £36. p.r. £63. Patrons, the Earl of Craven, and Robinson Chippendale, Esq. Two houses and a small parcel of land is in the parish of Linton.
Here in 1612, Sir William Craven, Knight, Alderman of the city of London, and late Lord Mayor of the same, founded and endowed a Grammar School; and from an inscription over the door of the church, he appears to have repaired and beautified that handsome building. At the entrance of the choir of this church, each rector has his own stall and pulpit, and from which the service is alternately performed."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Chapel House
- Craven Cross Bar
- Hebden Moorside
- Lainger House
- Langhill House
- North Cote