Dodcott cum Wilkesley
"DODCOT, a township, joint with Wilkesley, partly in the parish of WUENBURY, but chiefly in that of AUDLEM, hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 4 miles (W. S. W.) from Audlem, containing 670 inhabitants. The chapel of Burley Dam, which is in the parish of Audlem, stands in this township; it is a neat modern structure, founded by Sir Lynch Salusbury Cotton, Bart. In that part of the township which is in the parish of Wrenbury, Hugh de Malbanc, in 1133, founded the Cistercian monastery of Combermere, and dedicated it to St. Mary and St. Michael, the revenue of which, at the dissolution, was valued at £258. 6. 6.: the site and buildings were granted, in the 32nd of Henry VIII., to William Cotton, Esq., an ancestor of Lord Combermere, whose family seat, occupying the spot, is agreeably situated on the margin of the beautiful lake of Combermere, his lordship deriving the title of baron from this place." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
"BURLEY-DAM, a chapelry in the parish of ACTON, hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, miles (W. by S.) from Audlem. The population is returned with the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £400 private benefaction, and £1000 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Viscount Combermere." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
"WILKESLEY, a township, joint with Dodcot, partly in the parish of WRENBURY, but chiefly in the parish of AUDLEM, hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 3¾ miles (S. W. by W.) from Audlem. The population is returned with Dodcot." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Dodcott cum Wilkesley was a township in the ancient parishes of Audlem and Wrenbury Parishes, Nantwich hundred (SJ 5454), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- It includes the hamlets of Burleydam (part), Butterley Heyes, Cheshire Fields, Combermere, Lightwood Green, Pinsley Green, Royal's Green, Smeaton Wood and Wilkesley.
- The population was 755 in 1801, 631 in 1851, 626 in 1901, 451 in 1951, and 380 in 2001.
- Nantwich (1837-1937)
- Crewe (1937-74)
- Congleton & Crewe (1974-88)
- South Cheshire (1988-98)
- Cheshire Central (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire East (2009+)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Dodcott cum Wilkesley to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Dodcott cum Wilkesley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ618416 (Lat/Lon: 52.970405, -2.570715), Dodcott cum Wilkesley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Nantwich Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Nantwich Rural District (1894-1974)
- Crewe & Nantwich (1974-2009)
- Cheshire East (2009+)