Hide

Farndon

hide
Hide

"FARNDON, a parish in the higher division of the hundred of BROXTON, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the townships of Barton, Churton by Farndon, Glutton, Crewe, and Farndon, and containing 857 inhabitants, of which number, 429 are in the township of Farndon, 8¾ miles (S.) from Chester. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £600 private benefaction, £200 royal bounty, and £600 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Earl Grosvenor. The church, dedicated to St. Chad, was garrisoned in the civil war, and in consequence sustained great injury during the siege of Holt castle, in 1645; in 1658 it was repaired; it has a curious stained window, representing several gentlemen who commanded in Chester during the war. There is a place of worship at the township of Barton for Calvinistic Methodists. Farndon is bounded on the west by the navigable river Dee, which is crossed by an ancient bridge of eight arches, communicating with the town of Holt, in Flintshire. A charity school was erected in 1629, and endowed with land producing about £14 per annum, with a small croft and garden occupied by the master, who conducts the school on the Madras system. John Speed, the celebrated English topographer and historian, was born here in 1552." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Farndon, also a township in Farndon ancient parish, Broxton hundred (SJ 4154),  became a civil parish in 1866.
  • It includes the hamlet of Sibbersfield (part).
  • The population was 357 in 1801, 558 in 1851, 564 in 1901, 688 in 1951, and 1517 in 2001.
Hide
topup

Civil Registration

  • Great Boughton (1837-69)
  • Chester (1871-1937)
  • West Cheshire (1937-74)
  • Chester & Ellesmere Port (1974-98)
  • Cheshire East (1998-2007)
  • Cheshire (2007-09)
  • Cheshire East (2009+)
topup

Court Records

  • Broxton (1828-1974)
  • Chester (1974-2001)
  • Chester, Ellesmere Port & Neston (2001-12)
  • West Cheshire (2012+)
topup

Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Farndon which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

"FARNDON, a parish and small town in the higher division of the hundred of Broxton, county palatine of Chester, 7 miles N. E. of Wrexham, and 11 S. of Chester its post town. The Gresford station on the Great Western line is 6 miles W. of the village. It is situated on the eastern bank of the river Dee, which is navigable for boats, and includes the townships of Barton, Clutton, Crewe, Farndon, and part of Churton-by-Farndon. The river is here crossed by a bridge of nine arches, affording free communication between Farndon and the borough of Holt on the opposite shore, with which this parish was incorporated for parliamentary purposes by the Reform Act. This is the Forendon of Domesday Book. The village is of considerable size, and has some good shops. Malting and brewing are carried on, and there is a large steam-mill for grinding corn. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, value £115. The church, dedicated to St. Chad, is an ancient structure, with a fine memorial window containing likenesses of many Cheshire officers who served in the army of Charles I. The parochial charities, including a school endowment of £24, produce about £40 per annum. There is a parochial school and a good reading-room in the village. Major Barnston is lord of the manor."

"BARTON, a township in the parish of Farndon, and hundred of Broxton, in the county palatine of Chester, 9 miles to the S.E. of Chester."

"CHURTON BY FARNDON, a township in the parish of Farndon, in the higher division of the hundred of Broxton, in the county of Chester, 2 miles N. of Farndon, and 7 S.E. of Chester. It is bounded on the E. by the river Dee. The tithes were commuted in 1839."

"CLUTTON, a township in the parish of Farndon, in the higher division of the hundred of Broxton, in the county of Chester, 3 miles E. of Farndon."

topup

Historical Geography

Places associated with Farndon ancient parish with separate pages

 

You can see the administrative areas in which Farndon has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ437542 (Lat/Lon: 53.081776, -2.841639), Farndon which are provided by:

topup

Politics & Government

  • Tarvin Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Tarvin Rural District (1894-1974)
  • Chester (1974-2009)
  • Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Great Boughton (1837-71)
  • Tarvin (1871-1930)
topup

Voting Registers

  • South Cheshire (1832-67)
  • West Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Eddisbury (1885-1948)
  • Northwich (1949-54)
  • Nantwich (1955-74)