Hide

Lymm

hide
Hide

"LYMM, a parish in the hundred of BUCKLOW county palatine of CHESTER, 5½ miles (E. S. E.) from Warrington, containing 2090 inhabitants. The living is a rectory in medietics, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester; the mediety of Lymm with Warburton is rated in the king's books at £ 11. 0. 7½., and in the patronage of Rowland Eyles Egerton Warburton, Esq.; the other mediety is rated at £ 11. 0. 5., and in the patronage of E. Leigh, Esq. The church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, is a very ancient structure. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A free grammar school was endowed, in 1698, by Sir G.Warburton, and W. Domville, Esq., the income of which is about £ 80 per annum. The Duke of Bridgewater's canal passes through the village." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Lymm (pronounced Lim), a township and ancient parish in Bucklow hundred (SJ 6887), became a civil parish in 1866.
  • In 1933 its northern boundary with Lancashire was adjusted to follow the course of the Manchester Ship Canal.
  • It includes the hamlets of Booths, Broomedge, Church Green, Deansgreen, Heatley, Heatley Heath, Little Heatley, Oughtrington, Reddish, Rushgreen and Statham.
  • The population was 1622 in 1801, 3156 in 1851, 4707 in 1901, 6412 in 1951, and 10552 in 2001.
Hide
topup

Civil Registration

  • Altrincham (1837-98)
  • Bucklow (1898-1974)
  • Warrington (1974+)
topup

Court Records

  • Bucklow (1828-74)
  • Altrincham (1874-1974)
  • Warrington (1974+)
topup

Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Lymm which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

"LYMM, a parish in the hundred of Bucklow, county palatine of Chester, 5 miles S.E. of Warrington, its post town, and 7 N.W. of Knutsford. The Manchester, Lymm, and Warrington section of the London and North-Western railway has a station here. It is situated in the vicinity of the river Mersey. The Bridgwater canal passes through the parish; which includes the hamlets of Cliffe Lane and Heathley Heath. Fustian is manufactured here. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £500. The living of the first mediety is a rectory, value £349; that of the second mediety is also a rectory,* value with the curacy of Warburton annexed, £249, in the diocese of Chester. The church, dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin, is a modern structure. There are some remains of the old church. The various charities amount to nearly £100 per annum. The Baptists, Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel, and there is a free school for boys, also a National school for both sexes. Near the church is an old stone cross, the base of which is cut out of the solid rock. Lymm Hall, Statham Lodge, and Oughtrington Hall are the principal seats. At Heathley Heath are many good residences, chiefly occupied by merchants of Warrington."

topup

Historical Geography

  • 1933 April 1 — Gained part of Rixton with Glazebrook, Lancashire (73 acres, pop. 0 in 1931), and lost parts to Rixton with Glazebrook, Lancashire (41 acres, pop. 0 in 1931) and Woolston, Lancashire (167 acres, pop. 4 in 1931), when the northern boundary with Lancashire was adjusted to follow the course of the Manchester Ship Canal.
  • 1936 April 1 — Gained parts of Agden (near Lymm) (7 acres, pop. 0 in 1931) and Grappenhall (3 acres, pop. 0 in 1931), and lost part to Agden (near Lymm) (8 acres, pop. 2 in 1931)

You can see the administrative areas in which Lymm has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ687868 (Lat/Lon: 53.376956, -2.471452), Lymm which are provided by:

topup

Politics & Government

  • Lymm Urban Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Lymm Urban District (1894-1974)
  • Warrington (1974+)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Altrincham (1836-95)
  • Bucklow (1895-1930)
topup

Voting Registers

  • North Cheshire (1832-67)
  • Mid Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Altrincham (1885-1945)
  • Bucklow (1945-48)
  • Runcorn (1949-74)