Wikipedia tells us that:
"Curbar is a village and civil parish in the Derbyshire Dales district of Derbyshire, England. The population based on the 2011 Census was 417. Curbar is situated a mile north of Baslow, close to Calver on the A623."
The Bakewell Library is an excellent resource with a Local History section and a Family History section.
- EDWARDS, Brian - Calver, Curbar and Froggatt in Old Photographs. Published by Northend of Sheffield. ISBN 0-9525064-9-1.
David DUNFORD provide a photograph of the Cundy Family Graves on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2007. Thomas CUNDY and his family succumbed to the Plague in 1632.
- The parish was in the Bakewell sub-district of the Bakewell Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|1851||H.O. 107 / 2149|
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2538|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2773|
- The Anglican Parish church was built in 1867 and dedicated to All Saints.
- The ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1869 from the parish of Baslow St. Anne and included the Townships of Calvar and Froggatt.
- The church seats 340.
- Terry ROBINSON has a photograph of All Saints Church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2012.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1868.
- Parishioners attended the church in Baslow prior to 1868. You should look in that parish register for entries prior to 1868.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Eyam.
- Rosemary LOCKIE provides Curbar Memorial Inscriptions at her website.
- The Wesleyan Methodists built a chapel here in 1861
- We have this article from "The Derbyshire Times (28 Dec 1912)," page 8:
"SMITH - MILNER A wedding interesting to residents of Staveley and Calver took place on Thursday at All Saints' Church, Curbar, the Rev. T. F. SALT officiating, when Miss Lily Nestfield MILNER, daughter of Mr and Mrs MILNER, of Calver, was married to Mr George William SMITH, son of Mr Geo. SMITH, of Staveley. The service was choral, Miss SALT providing the organ.
The bride, who was attired in navy crepe de chene trimmed with lace and embroidery and wore a velvet hat and plume to match, was given away by her father. She carried a bouquet of white chrysanthemums and lilies. Her bridesmaids - The Misses Lois and Grace MILNER - wore saxe blue silk eolienne(?) trimmed with lace and embroidery, with hats to match. Their bouquets were of pink chrysanthemums and smilax. The groomsmen were Mr F. C. SMITH (Staveley), Messrs. B. and T. MILNER. The bridegroom gave the bride a travelling bag, whilst the bride's present to her husband was a pair of gold cuff links. The bridegroom presented the bridesmaids with gold brooches.
After the reception at the bride's home, Woodland View, Calver, the happy pair left for Blackpool, the bride wearing a grey costume with seal hat. Among the invited guests were Mr and Mrs J. J. BARLOW (Blackpool), Miss KIRK (Eckington), Mrs and Miss GILL, Mr and Mrs A. GILL, Mr and Mrs J. GILL, Mr and Mrs W. GILL, Mrs and Miss PEAT (Curbar), Mr T. SALT (Curbar), Miss Clarke (Calver), and Mrs J. SLINN. "
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Bakewell sub-district of the Bakewell Registration District.
Cathy E. provide a photograph of the Old Jailhouse on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2004. This was the local parish lock-up, used to house law-breakers overnight or until the magistrate could convene a court. There are few records of prisoners. The best place to look is in the local newspapers.
"CURBAR, a township in the parish of Bakewell, hundred of High Peak, in the county of Derby, 4 miles N.E. of Bakewell. It is situated on the river Derwent. The Duke of Rutland is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]
Calver and Froggatt are townships and small villages in this parish. There is no passenger rail service to Curbar.
David MARTIN has a photograph of the small Green at Curbar on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2016.
- Rosemary LOCKIE provides a transcription of the Curbar entry from Bagshaw's "History, Gazetteer & Directory of Derbyshire, 1846".
- Rosemary LOCKIE provides a transcription of the Curbar entry from White's "Gazetteeer and General Directory of Sheffield and 20 miles round", 1862.
- Ann ANDREWS provides a transcription of the Curbar entry from Kelly's "Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland" (1891).
- Rosemary LOCKIE provides a transcription of the Curbar entry from Kelly's "Directory of Derbyshire, 1932".
- Mel LOCKIE provides a transcription of the Curbar entry under Bakewell from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72):
"CURBAR, a township in Bakewell parish, Derby; 4¼ miles NE of Bakewell. Real property, £782. Pop., 332. Houses, 70. A church was built here in 1868."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Curbar to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Curbar has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The village grew around a crossing of the River Derwent, providing the pack horse trade access to Sheffield and Manchester.
- The plague came to Curbar before it reached Eyam with tombs dated 1632 evident in several parts of the village.
- In 1927 the Duke of Rutland sold the tenanted village at a public auction in Bakewell. Most of the tenants bought their own properties and family descendants still own several of them.
- Neil THEASBY provides a photograph of Warren Lodge on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2015. The caption has a tidbit of 1933 history.
- The section of Lysons' Topographical and Historical Account of Derbyshire, 1817, for Baslow, transcribed by Barbarann AYARS, includes the briefest of mentions of Curbar.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK260745 (Lat/Lon: 53.267046, -1.611076), Curbar which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Terry ROBINSON has a photograph of the Curbar War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2012.
- Rosemary LOCKIE provides Curbar War Memorial Inscriptions at her website.
- For a photograph of the Curbar War Memorial and the names on it, see the Roll of Honour site.
- There appears to be only one Commonwealth War Grave in the churchyard: George Victor BRADWELL, private in the 12th Btln. Sherwood Foresters who died on 18 October 1915 at age 23. He was the son of Thomas and Elizabeth BRADWELL.
The surnames BENNETT, BERRISFORD, ELLIS, HENSHAW and WILMOT are known to be in Curbar in the 1800s.
- This place was an ancient Township in Bakewell parish in Derby county and it was incorporated as a separate, modern Civil Parish in December, 1866.
- This parish was in the ancient High Peak Hundred (or Wapentake) in the Western division of the county.
- You may contact the local Curbar Parish Council concerning civic or political issues. They cannot help you with family history searches.
- District governance is provided by the Derbyshire Dales District Council.
- Cliff College (formerly Cliff House) has full academic status in the present day, as an educational establishment for members of the Methodist Church. Its origins however, are rooted firmly in the past, with its benefactors, the GARDOM family who were the previous owners of the land where the college was built.
- The earliest school in the district seems to have been Ford School which was set up in the late 17th century.
- Cliff College was an institution set up by the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion in 1883 for the training of lay preachers. In 1907 a new wing was added to the college. Additional wings were added in 1913 and 1924.
- John M. has a photograph of Cliff Hall (part of Cliff College) on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2018.
- A Public Elementary School was built in Curbar near the Derwent River Bridge in 1871 for 72 boys and girls and 42 infants. By 1912, it was at full capacity. There is a photograph of the school at Rosemary LOCKIE's website.
- Rosemary LOCKIE has a webpage on Stocking Farm School at her website.
- Rosemary LOCKIE has a webpage on Stanton Ford School at her website.